Chapter 42

I closed my eyes and turned away from her. Why was I reacting too strongly towards her? Did I care for her that much? I went and stood looking out her office window. The last four days I had been held down with meetings and signing of important documents that I hadn't even had time to think of anything. 

But yesterday after I had completed everything and my body was about to give up, my thoughts had gone to her. What was she doing? Was she okay? Had she missed me? She was all I wanted to see before I could do anything else. When I asked they told me she was okay and immediately I had driven to her house knowing she would be there. 

Seeing her yesterday had made me confirm what I really felt. I didn't want to let her go. She still thought we were going to date for a month? That had been me holding on the last straw that time. I don't intend to stop seeing her. 

"I don't get why you're mad." Her voice suddenly brought me back to the moment. She was standing close to me now. 

"I'm not mad." I smiled at her.

"You sure looked mad." She looked confused. 

"Well, see for yourself." I said pulling her to me and leaning closer to her, "Do I look mad?" She shook her head. I could see so many questions going through her mind. Having her closer to me like this reminded me, that all her outlook was a lie. 

She seemed strong, independent, satisfied, happy, but I knew there was more to all that, and I wanted to find out. "Do you want to go on a date tonight?" I suddenly asked startling her again.

"I don't know," She said not sure, "My schedule is..."

"It wasn't a question." I said letting her go and walking towards the door. I turned around, "Dress nicely, I'll pick you up at 7." I gave her a wink and left, closing her door softly. 

"Good Day, Minerva." I nodded at her secretary making her fumble in her seat. 

Now it was time to talk to Arturo about Gonzalez. I walked towards his office and knocked on the door then entered. He was talking on phone with someone, that gave me time to look around his office. 

I liked him at first sight. He had this authenticity about him that made me trust him. He was always straight to the point and that's what I liked even more. 

"Carlos, I thought you had left." he said after getting off his call. I turned around and went to sit opposite him. 

"Not really." 

"I think I know why you're here?" he said smirking at me, "Gonzalez." I chuckled confirming his suspicion.

"I don't like that guy." I said, "But he was already a partner of my late wife's company so it's hard to get rid of him." 

"I can understand," he said nodding, "What do you want me to do?" 

"Just make sure he stays away from Leticia." he chuckled, "It's not funny. I'm dead serious." 

"I'm always looking out for Letty," I didn't mind how he called her. He had probably called her that for years. 

"Let any business be done just between you two, without letting her know. She just won't listen to me on this and I don't want to use extreme measures for something trivial." 

"I'm all aboard, no need to worry yourself." 

"I appreciate that." I stood up and stretched out my hand to him, "I owe you one." 

"A big one at that." he said shaking my hand and we both chuckled.

"Right. See you around." I turned and left his office, texting my driver to be in the parking lot in a few minutes. I had to finish up the business at my office. 

*******************

"So, you wanna spill the tea?" Minerva came sneaking in. 

"Actually, I'm holding water in my hand." I showed her the glass of water I had.

"Enough with that, spill." She glared at me playfully. 

"Yes, we are dating." I sighed completely turning to focus on her. She whisper screamed excitedly jumping up and down. 

"Now, that's what I'm talking about." She said, "You look happy." 

"I do?" I looked at her shocked. How did I look happy after that man had just ordered me on a date. 

"Of coarse." 

"Hello," We both turned to see Estella peeking through the door. Thank God she hadn't done her traditional entrance style. 

"Estella, does Leticia look happy?" Minera asked her.

"Well, hello to you too, I'm fine thank you very much." Estella rolled her eyes.

"Just answer the question." Minerva said.

"Hmm," Estella looked at me as she came closer, "Something looks different about you." Then it's like she had had that AHA moment, "No, way, did you have sex last night?" 

Minerva and I gasped. "Stella." I rebuked her. 

"Of coarse you didn't, traditional woman." She waved her hand, "Wait, did something good happen with Carlos?" 

"Well, I wouldn't call that good." I grumbled. "He forced me on a date with him." 

"Do you want to go or you don't?" She asked

"Well, I want to but...."

"That's enough." She stopped me, "You want to go so why are you pretending not to want to go?"

"I'm not pretending." Both women were now focused on me, "You guys don't understand. I'm confused about how I feel. What if something happens and..."

"Nothing is going to happen unless you let it." Minerva said earning a nod from Estella.

"Still, I don't want to be vulnerable and give in and then suddenly.."

"Okay, I'm hungry." Estella cut me off, "Let's go eat." 

"Hey, I hadn't finished." I protested.

"You think we are going to stand here and listen to you destroy a relationship that hasn't even started? You are already in the future foreseeing something that is unlikely to happen. Let's go Miss Fortuneteller. You can tell our fortunes later." She said walking towards the door. 

Minerva and I followed, "Well I'm just saying it as it is." I said.

"Live in the Now, Letty," Minerva held my hand, "That is the only way you can completely be happy." She smiled at me. 

"Now that's what I'm talking about." Estella clapped and went towards Minerva's side and held her hand. "I love you Minerva, you're my girl." 

I sighed as three of us walked towards the exit. "Now about that date," Estella said. "Do you want me over?" 

"No, thanks, I can dress myself up." I declined.

"Of coarse you can." She suddenly stopped and glared at me, "You better make that date work Leticia Powers, because if I sense even a little hesitation, I'll follow you to that date and hawk eye you throughout the whole evening." 

"Jeez, let's just go eat." I shook my head to clear the thought of her at my date.