Chapter 12

The teddy bear was laying on the little girl's lap. The screaming and cries for help that echo through out the halls didn't bother her anymore. She never knew something else than the sound of that. With her little hand she trace her fingers down the teddy bears face. She wish she could she her family back, because she felt alone.

They were in the asylum too, but just in other cells far, far from each other. Sometimes she could hear her brother's cries when they drag him out of his cell. That made her really sad and scared, because she knew they were going to hurt him. She was the only one who got lucky here.

They didn't test or do things with her. She wasn't sick like her family. The only thing that happen is that once a month a man come in her room. He would asked her questions and if she wouldn't answer them he would get mad. He always wears a brown suite with over it a white doctors apron and thick glasses.

The door opened and she hugged the teddybear. Footsteps came in her room. "Evelina." The little girl looked up when she heard her name. The man was standing in front of her. Those thick glasses made him more scarier. She couldn't see his eyes through them.

"It's time to check up on you." He took a chair that was standing in her tiny room and sat it closer to her. "So did anything weird happen this month?" Evelina shook her head looking down.

She heard the sound of a pen writing down on something. "Did you see things other's didn't see?" Evelina look up from her bear to the doctor.

"I don't know. They didn't let me go out of my room this month." She whisper.

The man nodded his head before writing down something. "Do you hear voice's even if people are not around you?" The man look back up at her waiting for her answer.

"No I'm always alone." Evelina answers with tears in her eyes.

The man wrote again something down before standing up and putting the chair back on his place. "Evelina everything is okay. I'm hoping that in few months you can go away from here." Evelina look up at the man when he mention her freedom.

"I-I can leave?" The man nods his head.

She would be finally free from this.

"And my family?" She asked hoping they could come with her.

"I'm sorry, but they are still sick and I don't think it will get better." That means she have to leave them here. Even though she hardly she them, she was happy with the little time she saw them.

"C-can I see them?"

The mans smile disappeared when she asked it. "I'm afraid not. They are sick and if you come near them you can get sick too." But what they have is not a cold or anything that can effect me.

"Please it's been forever that I have seen my mommy or brother." Evelina pleated on the edge of crying.

"If I leave here I will never see them again." She was scared he would be mad at her for asking, but she wanted to see her family. The doctor when outside for a little bit before coming back inside leaving the door open. She was confuse when the doctor pointed at the door.

Slowly she got up from the ground with the bear tightly in her hands. Two men dragged a woman in front of her door. The woman's hair was hanging in front of her face, but the Evelina knew who it was.

"Mommy!" She cried and ran to her.

Before she could reach her the doctor grabbed her.

"Don't go near her." The woman looked up at her daughter.

"Oooh Evelina." She whisper with tears in her eyes.

"I'm so glad you're okay." Evelina was in tears when she looked at her mommy. The once beautiful brown long hair she had was now hanging lifeless around her face. Those loving and soft brown eyes were now almost grey and death. Her mommy was slipping away. "Why don't you tell her Evelina what is going to happen to you." The doctor said laying his hand on her shoulder.

"Mommy I can go away from here. They are letting me go." The girl whisper. The woman forced a smile on her face. She knew she's never gonna she her own daughter again, but she would do anything to get her children out of this hell hole. They already hurt her little boy, she didn't want that to happen to her little girl. "I'm happy for you. I hope that mister Henderson will find a good home for you." She looked a sec at the doctor before looking back at Evelina.

"Oh don't worry I will find a home for her." The doctor answer smiling at the woman. He waved with his hand and the two men began to dragged the woman away. "Wait! Mommy!" Evelina cried, but they were already gone. "It's for the best." The doctor walking to the door.

He close the door with a locking sound coming after. Evelina fell to the floor on her knees crying. No matter what, she's always going to be alone. She look at the bear in her hands and hug it tight just like her daddy said she had to do when she felt alone.

I shot up in my bed cover in sweat. My breath was heavy and I could feel tears running down my cheek. That was a awful dream. The little girl was really scared.

I turn on the light beside my bed before looking at my room. A sighed escape my lips before I lay down. I turn on my side and almost fell out my bed when I saw something on my bed next to my pillow.

It was a teddy bear.

Not just a teddy bear.

Evelina's teddy bear.