291

Lisa's clutch on the spoon, so as Ruby Jane's hand on his shoulder. Sophia was the more panicked one. She felt it was required to get angry at the new bride as Ruby Jane might have misunderstood their gesture. She wanted to say it was alright, she could give the food to neighbors who would love to try something different.

Anyway, who was she to talk to in between the family? Sophia knew her position so she pursed her lips and looked at Ruby Jane.

Sophia was surprised, Ruby Jane was still serene despite being yelled at by Zelda. It was like nothing could disturb the calm surface of the lake.

The silence fell over once Zelda stopped. Zelda tried to calm herself while thinking how much food might waste due to Ruby Jane unnecessary cooking. She would have surely appreciated Ruby Jane if they were in Manoban mansion with all. For four, there were many dishes.

For a moment Zelda thought she might have been too harsh on Ruby Jane hearing no word from her. She lifted her head and saw her unreadable gaze on her. She failed to read if Ruby Jane was disappointed, sad, or angered.

Ruby Jane finally spoke in a calmer voice that was stark against the voice of Zelda, "Elder madam, don't you know why I cooked multiple dishes?"

Zelda frowned at her unemotional voice. She looked at the table full of dishes. She lied as she doesn't eat cheese hence Ruby Jane was prepared with Tomato soup. Now looking at the dishes, she could discern why there were so many dishes.

Chicken Enchilada Casserole, if Zelda says she doesn't like chicken, then Ruby Jane had an alternative for it, Turkey & Root Vegetable Meatloaf.

If Zelda comes up with she was a vegetarian then there was Quinoa Burrito Bowl. If she argues as she was old and couldn't digest, Ruby Jane had an option for it too. Loaded Mashed Potato Cakes, nothing could be as easier as it to digest and get the required nutrients.

If Zelda wanted whole nutrition other than a burrito, there were four stuffed Green peppers with and without the cheese. It meant Ruby Jane was prepared for Zelda's unreasonable tantrums.

Ruby Jane continued after a pause, "About wasting of the food, Elder Madam, you are free to check in the kitchen. Whatever I have cooked is on the table. So there is only one serving extra."

Value of food? None of them knew the value of the food better than her. There were uncountable days Maisie had starved her from a very young age. No... Maisie had starved her from birth.

Ruby Jane didn't want to argue with word for a word so she didn't say anything else.

Lisa lost his appetite due to his grandmother. He wanted to leave the table but didn't want to disrespect the old lady either. The words on his lips were mockery which was held back due to Ruby Jane.

Sophia took the gamble to break another round of uncomfortable silence, "Old Madam, the food will get cold. Let's eat."

Ruby Jane served them, patiently waiting for them to complete dinner. Whereas Lisa was quick to complete so that he could feed his wife.

Without letting them interject, he warmed the soup and two more dishes and took Ruby Jane out to the swing chair on the lawn.

Zelda had another cup of tea in her room watching the couple on the lawn. She couldn't decipher Ruby Jane completely. She was being spoiled by overindulging Lisa, yet that wasn't making any harm to her personality. It was like she had two worlds, one where she had only Lisa and another world for the rest.

The only thing Zelda liked in Ruby Jane was, the latter knew to calm Lisa, make him smile, and also bring out his hearty, unrestrained laughter.

Zelda wasn't sure if it was a good thing or bad. If Ruby Jane loses Lisa, she will be nothing but a lonely bird in an empty dark sky. If Lisa loses Ruby Jane, the whole world would fall short to make up for the emptiness he would have to embrace.