🔥

Exhausted Sypha was following her hyperactive 7 year old son, while also hugging her terrified 3 year old daughter. She understood her youngest very well. Giants' territory is a place where death awaited in every corner. It was a miracle they were still alive.

Woman heard multiple stories about these enormous monsters. How they like to torture humans before eating them. Or how they swallow still living people whole, only for them to suffer long, painful death by digestion.

- Allen! Get back here or some giant will make you its meal! - she called her son.

- Don't worry Ma! I'll be fine-! - little boy was interrupted by an earthquake. Giants were close!

- We need to hide! - woman yelled and having caught up to Allen, she forced him to hide in the bushes.

Luckily, it turned out that giants were a good few meters down from their hiding place. Sypha timidly peeked through twigs to see what they were doing. But what she saw, it astounded her.

A group of ten, maybe eleven male, fairly young giants was gathered around a huge bonfire. They were chatting and laughing loudly, it seemed they were having a good time. When one of them pulled out a guitar from behind his back, rest made a shout of joy.

Soon, a soft and beautiful melody echoed through the forest, soon being joined by giants' singing, but they were singing in a language Sypha couldn't recognize. Nevertheless, it was charming and woman couldn't believe that such cruel and monstrous creatures were so talented. In fact, they seemed to be like humans, just bigger - a complete opposite of giants from the stories she heard.

As time passed, music became more fierce and louder. Now, not only they were singing, but also they started to dance a Kozachok dance, causing such strong tremors, that even Sypha and her kids felt it, despite the distance.

Allen was looking at giants' dancing in enchantment, being amazed by their swift moves and harmony. He desired to get a better look at it, so he left the bushes. Unfortunately, snow underneath his feet was extremely slippy and poor boy soon found himself sliding down straight under giants' swirling feet.

- Allen! - woman cried out and without thinking she followed her son, hoping that he somehow didn't get crushed.

***

Iwas didn't hide his surprise, when suddenly a human child appeared right under his feet. Not wanting this poor fella to get hurt by his friends, he shouted:

- Ey! Stop! There's a human in here!

Music stopped immediately, rest of giants gasped in shock, not believing in what their pal was saying. But soon enough, a hopeless sniffling and sobbing could be heard and it melted giants' hearts.

They carefully crouched down near the child, not wanting to startle him even more. Then it began:

- Are you okay?

- What are you doing here?

- Where are your parents?

- Are you lost?

- Are you hungry? We were about to grab a bite. 

- Or maybe you're cold? Come closer to bonfire, it'll warm you in no time!

Confused boy was looking from face to face, wondering why they haven't hurt him yet and why they looked so worried about him. Maybe his mom was wrong...

- Allen! - familiar voice called. Within seconds boy was now embraced in his mother's strong hug, with his little sister between them. Then, his mother shielded him with her body and having pulled a knife out of sheath attached to her belt, she pointed it at giants and yelled:

- Don't come any closer, you vile monsters!

Surprisingly, giants became visibly ashamed and took few steps back, giving woman and her children space.

- We're sorry ma'am, we didn't mean to scare you or your kids - one of them mumbled.

- Yeah! We just wanted to take care of little fella, nothing more - second giant added.

- Why should I trust you?! I'm sure you're bluffing now, to lull us and then devour us! - Sypha shouted.

Giants murmured something among themselves and then guitarist spoke:

- I don't know who's responsible for those lies, but I can assure you - we don't eat humans. That would be so sick, eating something that resembles us.

Sypha became speechless, when she heard that. It was her first encounter with giants and they were nothing like from stories. But why would anybody lie about them?

Her thoughts were interrupted by a voice:

- Well, since we kinda broke the ice, maybe do you want to join us here? Night here is really dangerous, it's safer to be near a source of light.

Woman begrudgingly accepted the proposition, not having much of a choice.

***

Allen was the first to willingly associate with giants. Not longer after they assured they won't hurt humans, he decided that big folks make the greatest jungle gym and now was climbing all over the massive body of a giant, being carefully watched by the big guy.

Soon enough Fia - Sypha's daughter - also began to run from giant to giant, examining closely each part of collosal beings and demanding to be lifted up by them. Such adorable behavior melted giants' hearts, even few of them wept with emotion.

Sypha was looking at it with disbelief. She did find out that giants are merry and light-hearted creatures, but the stories had to result from something. They couldn't have been trumped up... Right?

She felt small bowl with porridge being shoved into her hands.

- Here, eat it. Tomorrow we need to get you back to human territory and you have to restore your energy - soft voice said.

- How come you're so nice and welcoming, even after I accused you of man-eating? For that alone you shouldn't have helped us - Sypha couldn't understand.

- As earlier explained, it would be cruel to eat something so similar to us, just smaller. And don't worry, no offense was taken, it wasn't the first time we heard that. We sometimes even joke about that whole "Fee fi fo fum" thing and stuff - giant replied.

- I don't know how to thank you for all you did for us - woman said.

- 'S alright. Now, night is still young - giant waved at the guitarist - Hios, play something, will ya?

And so, giants and human were dancing and singing until dawn, when it was high time for humans to get them back to their home.