👮 (2)

Requested by: GT_Dayton

Jackie wiped sweat from her forehead. Today was a steamy day, but it didn't discourage her. She was aware that these were the last hours of her community service, then her punishment will be over.

Plus, officer Brad promised that he'll collect her after she's done and they will come to his place for a tea.

She didn't tell him that she wasn't too happy there. She didn't want him to worry about her, he had already done so much for her. He was the one who did his best to put Jackie in the best orphanage in humans' zone. If the orphanage she was currently living in was supposed to be the best, she didn't even want to imagine how bad the rest must have been.

She often caught herself on thinking about her father. Her predictions didn't confirm, it seemed that man knew he screwed pretty bad and was staying in hidden.

Of course, everyone in giants' zone was alerted and police increased the amount of patrols in there. But still, there was no news about the infamous giant murderer.

Jackie packed last leaves to the bag, tied it and carried it under the tree. She finally finished.

She went inside the preschool to say that she was done and to say goodbye to the headmaster.

Brad promised Jackie that he will help her fill out the report when they got to his place. Then, she truly be free.

She left the preschool area and sent policeman a SMS that she was done. She walked over to a stop and was awaiting for Brad's arrival.

Suddenly, someone bumped into her, almost throwing her off of her legs.

- Hey, watch it! - she growled at the stranger. Man stopped running and turned around. Jackie froze, seeing that it was his father.

- Jackie, is that you? - he asked, approaching her. She was moving back.

- My baby girl, I missed you! - he cried.

- No, you didn't. You left me behind on purpose and called me clumsy, worthless and a crybaby - she said.

- You're still holding grudge against me? Just because my tongue slipped a little? - man asked.

- Slipped?! You call those awful insults just a slip of your tongue?! How insolent can you get?! - she snarled at him.

- Okay, I admit I was a douchebag. But I've changed, I really missed you! - Jack exclaimed.

- Why didn't you come to find me then? - she asked.

- I was afraid that police would capture me! But I realized that we both would increase chances of being safe, if we started working together again - he said. It seemed that he had no idea about girl's sentence and partnership with giant police.

- Nope, not a chance! Not after what you did to me and those poor giants! - she roared.

- What?! Why are you defending those monsters?! - man growled.

- They're not monsters! I don't know what's your problem with them, but you need to stop this madness!

- Madness? MADNESS?! They brainwashed you, just like the others! Giants have about 90% of world capital in their hands! Not to mention that they don't see as equals, they're only pretending! I'm a hero who decided to bring an end to their filthy actions! - Jack exclaimed, his eyes went livid. Jackie was seriously frightened now. Her father lost his mind.

- Stay back! - she shouted, seeing how man took a penknife out of his jacket.

- You're coming with me, whether you like it or not! - he bellowed and grabbed her tightly by her arm. She thrashed, trying to snatch out of man's grip, but he was too strong.

Jack then proceed to cut her in different parts of her body, yelling profanities at her. Petrified girl thought it was an end of her, when suddenly familiar voice thundered:

- Hey!!! What do you think you're doing?!!

Man immediately let go of his daughter and leaped away from the giant cop.

- Don't think this is over Jackie! Wherever you go, I'll find you! - he threatened and ran.

Brad wanted to follow the giant murderer first, but quickly ditched that idea, when he heard girl's whimpers of pain.

He gently squatted and scooped Jackie to his hands. He then pressed her to his chest. He could feel how poor thing was shaking. He gently rubbed her back with his thumb and cooed:

- It's okay Jackie. I've got you, I've got you. I won't let that psycho to lay a finger on you. Let's go to my place, shall we?

Girl nodded. Giant stood up and headed towards the giants' zone.

***

Jackie was sitting on a human-sized couch Brad had in his house, for human guests. She was all patched up, Brad went livid when he saw the wounds, but noticing the fear he reigned upon the girl, he kept his anger at bay.

She tried to overhear Brad's phone call, but the door muffled his voice completely.

He came back shortly after and announced:

- I've talked with the head of the orphanage and we both decided that you'll stay with me until Jack is captured. It's for your safety.

Jackie was relieved. Not only she didn't have to go back to that terrible place, but also she'll be under Brad's care - he was probably the closest thing she had to family now.

Brad took her to the kitchen, where he prepared food for both of them. After they ate, they went to man's bedroom, where he created a small corner for her. Then, they made it a movie night, as Jackie was still a little shaken up after that encounter.

When the film came to an end, man gently took Jackie in his hands and then tucked her in her bed. Though girl felt like she was treated like a little kid, she didn't mind it. It was first time in forever when she felt truly loved.

But that night wasn't calm at all. Brad woke up to quiet, yet terrified sobs coming from Jackie's bed. He got up and walked up to the nightstand, where girl had her corner.

- What's wrong Jackie? - he asked with concern in his voice. Teen crawled out from the covers and whined:

- Dad, I had a nightmare!

Then she raised her arms up, wanting to be held by him.

Brad was shocked. It didn't seem that girl noticed how she called him, but it wasn't like it bothered him. He found it quite adorable that he became a father figure to her.

He hugged her carefully to his chest and swayed his body, to soothe her.

- Don't worry little Jackie, your dad is here. And he's not going anywhere - he said.