🐍

Prompt created by: Paperlicense

- Get back here Jezebel! - angry voices behind Mathilda made her realize that she won't escape them. But Ellyn? She was just a baby, she didn't deserve to die in such young age. It's not her fault that her "father" was hooking with every woman. Of course, his wife - who also happened to be a duchess - found out about his infidelity and ordered her warriors to kill each woman he slept with.

And that's why Mathilda was now running for her life. Though she could feel her time has come, she won't let Ellyn pay for her father's mistake.

She placed her daughter under the tree's roots and began to cover her with moss. Baby began to wail, feeling something was wrong.

- No, no Ellyn. Shh, shh.. - Mathilda tried her best to calm her daughter down. She let little girl nibble on her fingers, as it kept her silent. But when she heard they were too close, she let out a painful sob and having pulled her fingers back, said to baby:

- Mommy will always love you.

She then ran as far from baby as possible, making lot of noise. It worked, duchess's warriors followed her, leaving Ellyn alone.

***

Ge'ka was hiding in tree's crown, observing each move of an young fawn - her prey. It was completely oblivious it became a target of a hungry, very hungry naga.

Unfortunately, Ge'ka lost vigilance for a moment and broke a branch with her tail. It startled fawn, which didn't waste time and fled away.

- Aw man - she said and slid down the tree. That's when her instinct was abruptly awoken again. She sniffed air with her forked tongue. She smelled a sweet scent, it was coming from under the tree's roots.

Naga slithered there and parted the moss covering the source of that sweet aroma. She opened her mouth, to let her fangs swing into their position, so that she can sink them in her prey's body. But she stopped midway, hearing amused giggle. Shouldn't it be scared?

She closed her mouth and leaned in, wanted to see which animal wasn't scared of her. She hissed in surprise, seeing it was just a human baby. What was it doing here? Humans aren't forest animals and they aren't loners.

- Where are your parentsss little one? - Ge'ka asked baby, knowing very well it was untypical for humans to abandon their pups. It didn't answer of course, but it did reach out its arms, probably wanting to be held.

Naga hesitantly took fragile baby in her hands, it was no bigger than her thumbnail. She also discreetly peeked under its diaper. So this baby was a girl.

Suddenly, she smelled another scent, very similar to baby's. Maybe it was her mother? Ge'ka slithered to the place where it was coming from, but as she was getting closer, another, unpleasant smell was mixed with sweet scent. That smell was very familiar to naga.

For it was a smell of blood.

It caused Ge'ka to quicken her slithering. She soon stumbled upon a woman laying in puddle of blood. But she wasn't dead yet, naga saw how her chest was rising and falling.

Mathilda looked up at the naga approaching her. Her eyes glistened with hope, seeing that her baby was still alive. She whispered almost inaudibly:

- Please... Take good care of my poor Ellyn...

Then she stopped breathing. The air became filled with wailings of a baby, who seemed to somehow know that her mom was dead.

Ge'ka dug a hole in the ground and placed dead body inside. She then buried it and having opened her mouth, let a single drop of her venom fall on woman's grave.

She then slowly began to slither in the direction of her nest. She looked at the baby in her hand, who was now whimpering quietly to herself.

- Aww, Ellyn don't cry, you're not alone - naga said, gently wiping tears away from baby's face. Little girl went silent, she grabbed huge finger and put it in her mouth.

Ge'ka swore to herself at that moment, that she's going to be the best foster mom for poor little human.

***

Skass hissed grumpily, feeling how his mate gently shook him to wake him up.

- Ssskasss, you know how much I wanted an offssspring, right? - Ge'ka asked him.

- Of courssse. But you it isssn't time of your essstrusss yet - he replied, wondering why she raised that subject. Plus, they had been trying to lay eggs for such a long time, to no avail. Poor Ge'ka couldn't sleep at nights, being sad over the fact that she was the only naga without an offspring.

- Thisss isss my baby now - naga said. Confused Skass finally opened his eyes. He saw a human baby giggling and grabbing tip of his nose.

- That'sss... - naga slithered back and shown his fangs - Where did you get a human baby from?! - he asked.

- Her mother got killed. Ssshe asssked me to take care of Ellyn - Ge'ka replied and cradled human to her chest. Hearing a mention of human, other nagas got closer.

- Are you insssane?! It'sss a born murderer! - Skass shouted.

- It'sss jussst a baby, it couldn't have hurt a sssingle naga - Ge'ka replied calmly.

- Well maybe not, but when it growsss up, it'll make a clothing out of your ssskin! - he said and turned to other nagas watching them.

- People like her hunt usss down! They're nothing, but a trouble and doom! Ssshe'sss going to murder all of usss one day!- he again turned to his mate.

- You need to get rid of it! - he snarled.

- I won't do that - she replied. 

- Fine! Then I'll do it myssself! - Skass hissed and snatched the baby from Ge'ka's hand. Female naga tried to get child back, but male was pushing her away with his tail. He then opened his mouth, letting his fangs to get in their positions.

But when he heard baby's blabbering and felt how it was snuggling against his hand, he couldn't bring himself to kill it.

He sighed heavily and handed over the baby to his mate.

- Fine, you can keep it. But I want nothing to do with raisssing it - Skass hissed and slithered under his favorite rock.

Other nagas dared to slither to Ge'ka, to get better look at human infant.

- Are you ssseriousssly going to raissse it like your own? - some naga asked.

- Yesss, got a problem with thisss? - Ge'ka asked.

- It'sss jussst... Humansss don't have fangsss or venom, how isss ssshe gonna sssurvive? - someone asked.

- Or how will ssshe hunt? - another naga added.

- We'll figure sssomething out when ssshe getsss older, for now I'll be protecting and feeding her - Ge'ka replied.

Naga then curled up in a ball and gently placed baby in the middle. She then caressed human with her forked tongue. Child giggled in delight and hugged naga's cheek.

- Goodnight little one - Ge'ka said and carefully kissed miniscule baby, trying not to release her venom.

The night came and moon shone over the cave where nagas and one little human baby were sleeping.