👼

"Finally I finished all deliveries, now I can go to bed" mr. Smith thought as he decoupled his horse from sleigh.

He led his horse out of the barn and then closed it. After that, he took horse by its bridle and took it to his stable, to close it in its cubicle.

But before he left, he took a brush and gently groomed his beloved animal. After that, he took a paddle and cleaned horse's hooves.

Just as he was about to finish the last hoof, he heard a quiet sneeze from behind his back.

- Bless you - he murmured automatically.

He then heard a sniffle and rubbing of a cloth, as if somebody was wiping his nose.

After a short while, mr. Smith finally understood that he's not alone in the stable and turned around to face an intruder. Seeing him, he dropped the paddle and was stuttering, but couldn't get a word out.

In the cubicle in front of mr. Smith, a young, maybe an 8 years old boy was sitting. He was wearing torn, dirty robe and black cloak, with a golden cross sewed on it and leather sandals, which of right one was torn a little.

Boy had silver, messy, medium-long hair, lilac eyes, his face was dotted with dark freckles. And he was the biggest human mr. Smith has ever seen, he had to be at least 10 foot tall.

Kid didn't move, he tilted his head in curiosity, watching man with interest.

Mr. Smith finally snapped from being frozen and having rushed out of his stable, screamed:

- Help! Help! There's a monster in my stable!

But nobody came, since old man was living alone at the forest edge, away from noisy city.

Having gotten to his shack, mr. Smith closed all doors and windows and ran up to the phone. He then dialed the number and waited.

- 911, what's your emergency? - voice on the other side asked.

- There's a giant in my stable! - old man shouted over the phone.

There was no response, only a thick silence, but after a while man could hear how operators were laughing in the background.

- I-I'm sorry, w-what? - voice couldn't contain its laughter.

- I said, there's a giant in my stable! - mr. Smith repeated annoyed.

- Sir, you do know that unreasonable  calling the police threatens a fine, right? - operator asked.

- But it's true! Get your butts here and see for yourself that I'm not making up! - he snarled.

- Sir, you're blocking the people that actually have a real problems, so if you don't hang up, I will - voice said, slightly annoyed.

- But I do tell the truth! You guys get paid from my taxes, so you better come'ere and help me out! - mr. Smith shouted, but didn't get a reply.

- Hello? Hello! - old man heard only signal. He threw phone at the wall in frustration, the impact caused an old shotgun, which was hanging on hooks, to fall down.

Mr. Smith then came up with an idea. "If you want to do something well, do it yourself" he thought grumpily and having took the shotgun in his hands, he left his safe shack to face the giant alone.

He slowly opened stable's gate and entered the building. He noticed that giant was still sitting in the cubicle, looking at horse with great interest.

Man took a chance that giant was distracted, he aimed shotgun at the boy and having put his finger on the trigger, pressed it.

But nothing happened.

He tried few more times, until he noticed that it was unloaded.

- Shit! - man quietly cursed, having seen that giant turned his attention to him. He quickly searched through his pockets, trying to find some bullets he always was carrying with him. Having pulled out a silver chain with a cross, he hung it on shotgun's gun and resumed his searching. But when he heard an adorable gasp, he turned to giant.

Boy was looking at cross with enchantment and when he noticed that he got man's attention, a pair of grey, large wings emerged from under black cloak, with left one being broken and chewed.

Confused old forester looked at the cross he had on his shotgun. He didn't believe in God, he was only carrying it in his pocket because he promised it to his late wife.

He guessed that angel seeing the cross thought that man is a catholic and decided to show his wings, hoping that it stops man from shooting the good spirit.

Man hesitantly put down the shotgun. Since boy was an angel, he couldn't hurt old forester, right?

Mr. Smith decided to take that risk. His late wife would probably do the same if she were alive.

- Follow me, I see what I can do about the wing - he murmured and left the stable.

He got surprised, seeing that angel eagerly obeyed him and followed him without hesitation.

They reached man's shack. Mr Smith opened the door and gestured for his guest to come inside.

Boy had to stay low to fit through the door. Inside, he could straightened up, the shack was spacious.

Amazed angel started to explore the house, mr. Smith meanwhile headed his bedroom, where he kept the first aid kit. He took out ointments, but looking at the bandages, he noticed they're too small for angel's wing.

Forester walked up to wardrobe, where he kept spare sheets. He took two, hoping it would be enough and stitched them with safety pins.

He went back to the living room, where giant boy was looking at his wife's photo, contemplating.

- Come'ere boy - man called angel. He then helped giant with taking off his clothes, noting he'll have to sew him new ones from old blankets.

He was gently taking care of many bruises around angel's scapula, rubbing ointments in them. He then (with a little help from boy) wrapped broken wing, stiffening it.

***

Mr. Smith grunted, dragging a heavy mattress from outdoor cell. He dropped it in the middle of the living room, as it was the most spacious room in whole shack.

He looked at bathed angel, patiently waiting for his temporary bed to be done.

Man make up the mattress, hoping that it'll be comfortable enough for oversized boy.

- Here, try it - he said to angel.

Giant laid down on the mattress, his feet were sticking out, but he didn't seem to mind. He looked at man with gratitude.

- Goodnight young one - man said and headed to his own bed. Suddenly, a soft whisper in a weird language resounded in man's mind and he felt like he was surrounded by the softest fluff in the whole world.

Startled by this weird event, man quickly got changed to his pajamas and laid down in his bed, hoping that when he wakes up tomorrow, angel turns out to be only a bad dream and will be gone.