Chapter Fourty One

Jordan's POV

"I thought this was something only happened in cartoons."

"Happens more often than you can imagine." Dalton said following my line of sight.

"Which one of us is going to go get it?" I asked.

"Oh don't look at me, last time I brought a cat down from a tree the little beast scratched my face. I'm not doing it." He crossed his arms.

I glanced to the little girl and her parents waiting for one of us to go up and get the cat. "What if the cat scratches me and I accidentally drop him?"

Dalton shrugged, "Cat always fall on their paws."

"Then why the hell do we need to go get it!"

"Jordan stop whining and go get the damn cat." Dalton pushed me forward.

I looked at the family as I got to the ladder, "I'll be right be right back with your cat." I said to the little girl.

"It's Mr. Whiskers." She responded.

"Whatever." I mumbled under my breath. I climbed up in the ladder until I got to the branch the orange cat was laying in. "Hey little dude, we gotta get you down there before your human kicks my ladder." I went to grab him but it hissed at me.

"DALTON THAT THING HISSED AT ME."

"Mrs Whiskers is not a thing!" The little girl yelled.

"Just grab the cat Jordan!"

I looked at the cat licking his paws peacefully like he just didn't hiss at me like a psychopath. "Okay you ball of hair, you are coming with me so you better not damage my face." I grabbed the cat and was relieved when it didn't hiss or try to scratch.

"See? Wasn't hard was it?" Dalton said from the ground.

"No it wasn't— oh fuck, fuck! Get off me you fur beast!" I yelled as the cat scratched my face and tried not to fall off the ladder. I manage to pull it away far enough from my face and go down a few steps but the cat kept moving in my hands until it jumped off. "Fuck," I cursed at the stingy sensation on my face.

"See it landed on his paws!" I heard Dalton say.

I looked down and saw the cat already on the little girl's arms—purring happily like he didn't just slice my face. I continued going down the last steps of the ladder until I hit the ground again.

"Damn you look... nice." Dalton said once he looked at my face.

"How many scratches are there?"

"Like four. Come on help me out here so we can go back to the station and you can clean yourself." He put a hand on the ladder to take it off the tree.

I finished putting band aids over the two scratches on my face that had leaked blood over my brow and cheek, the others didn't need anything more than to be cleaned.

This is so embarrassing.

The ringing of my phone distracted me from looking at myself on the mirror. Sighing I grabbed it and picked up the call, "Hello?"

"Hi." I heard the sound of my girlfriend's voice over the phone.

It had been three weeks since we had made things officially, and since I had met her brother as well. That same day Chris also found, she looked as happy as I imagined she would... but she also threatened me to not hurt her. Chris really is a terrifying hot and cold torment.

"Liv, how are you?"

"I'm good, you? I heard about your little incident." She giggled as she spoke.

Oh fuck you Dalton.