Chapter 5

A month.

That's how long it has been since the attack. That's how long it has been since Juliana was killed.

Demetri, Felix, Alec and Jane have been searching for those vampires for every single day of that month.

Caius barely leaves his throne. Huge dark circles under his eyes, his eyes turned into black since he hadn't eaten for over a month. He felt so tired although sleeping wasn't an option. Nights he spent in his room and days sitting on the throne waiting for new information about the searchings.

No one dared to talk to him if it wasn't about the searchings. Not even Aro dares to speak to him and that says a lot.

Juliana on the other hand was placed into an empty tower. Her body was placed on a low wooden table. There she rested.

Every night Caius went to see her. Since her body wasn't burned the King was hoping that one day she would just wake up.

But although Caius knew that the damage was too bad to be fixed, he could always hope, even if everyone else would think he was crazy.

***

The doors of the throne room opened and Demetri and Felix walked in the room carefully.

Caius was sitting on his throne.

"My King." Demetri started. "We are still searching. We got help from some other vampires from other covens."

"That means we are probably going to find them sooner." Felix continued trying to give the mourning King some hope.

"Probably?" Caius raised his eyebrow.

Both Felix and Demetri knew that they fucked up.

"You are going to find them soon. They are going to pay for taking my mate from me." Caius growled.

"Yes my King." The guards bowed.

Usually the guards didn't have to be too formal towards the Kings. But at this time no one wanted to push their luck when speaking to Caius.

"We have moved towards the east. Their scent leads there. But since we don't know their gifts, it is possible that they could lead us in the wrong way somehow."

"You... don't let them mislead you." Caius tried his best not to kill the two on that spot. He needed a tracker so he needed to try and calm down.

"Yes my King." Felix left the room but Demetri stayed behind.

"Caius. Juliana wouldn't want this. She wouldn't want you to give in to your rage."

"Don't tell me what she would want and what not!" Caius shouted. "OUT! Find those leeches! Find every and each one of them and rip them into the tiniest of pieces and burn them. You are not going to stop until every one of them is turned into ashes!"

"Yes my King." Demetri nodded and Caius stormed away from the throne room.

When he got inside his room he slammed the door shut behind him. He was shaking. Caius yelled and punched a hole on the bathroom door.

He then dropped on the floor, his back against the now broken bathroom door.

He buried his face in his hands. He wanted to scream and cry. But he couldn't.

Caius got up from the floor slowly. He walked to his bed and sat down on the edge of it.

His legs almost betrayed under him when her scent filled his nose stronger than before. The whole room smelled like her but her scent on the bed was a hundred times stronger.

Caius brushed his fingertips gently over the sheets on her side of the bed.

He couldn't believe she was gone. It felt like she had gone back to Forks to visit her family and would come back in a few days. Soon she would come inside from that door with her suitcase. She would place it on the floor next to the door, shut the door behind her and run to his arms.

He would wrap his arms around her tightly and bury his face against her neck. Place gentle kisses on her neck and shoulders. Feel the silky skin of hers against his own.

But that just wasn't the reality.

Caius reached his hand towards the head of the bed and grabbed Juliana's pillow. He placed it on his lap and then pulled it against his chest burying his face into it.

Her scent was still very much present, almost like she had never left. Like she had just a few minutes ago gotten up from the bed.

Caius placed the white pillow back to his lap and looked around with tired eyes. His gaze landed on Juliana's laptop.

Her family doesn't know. They are probably just wondering why she hasn't called them in a month.

Juliana explained once how Alice hasn't been able to see visions of her. Sometimes, very rarely she does but usually doesn't. So there's no way that they would know.

Someone needs to tell them.

Caius quickly got up from the bed and ran back to the throne room using his vampire speed.

Luckily Demetri hadn't left yet. He was still in the room, looking through a map.

"Demetri." Caius spoke up startelling the guard.

Demetri turned around. "I was just going to leave. I just-"

"Her family doesn't know." Caius spoke up.

Demetri stood silent for a minute before he realized what Caius meant

"Someone needs to tell her family." Demetri nodded his head.

Caius nodded. "You will do it."

"But I need to be here and continue searching. Like you said."

"Jane can take your place. You will go to Forks. You are closest to her after me." Caius ordered.

"Yes my King. I will leave immediately."