Chapter 16

(Eugene, Oregon)

"This should be it." Carlisle spoke while looking at the small piece of paper where Aiden's home number was written on.

The five vampires had just arrived in Eugene after a long drive.

Carlisle had stopped the car in front of this two storey building where Aiden was living. Or at least they hoped that he still lived there.

It was night time and the crescent of the moon was shining on the black sky.

Luckily it was night so they could not be seen by humans. It would have been a weird sight to see two red eyed men in long black cloaks and three golden eyed ones.

"Then what?" Emmett asked.

"I'm just going to knock." Alec said and knocked on the dark wooden door.

Felix came to stand beside Alec and the Cullens stood behind them.

They waited a while before the door opened revealing Aiden.

Aiden's eyes widened when he opened his door and saw the Volturi guards standing behind it.

"Can we come in?" Felix asked, making Aiden nod his head and opened the door further.

If his eyes didn't widen enough when he saw the guards his eyes definitely widened even more when Carlisle, Jasper and Emmett walked in behind them.

"Let's go straight to the point. We are here because Juliana Whitlock is dead."

Aiden's face fell.

"She's dead?" He asked.

"Yes." Felix nodded.

"Like you would really care." Emmett rolled his eyes and crossed his arms against his chest and glared at Aiden.

"But why is the Volturi involved in this?" Aiden questioned.

"King Caius is her mate and fiance. And he's not going to stop until the killer is found and killed." Felix explained.

Aiden's red eyes widened when he heard who her mate was.

"And we are here because we have a reason to suspect that you know something." Felix continued.

"That I would have killed her?" Aiden asked. "This was the first time that I heard of this. Yes I might have done terrible things in the past but to break into the Volturi castle and kill her? I don't have a death wish." He shook his head.

"Actually the one who killed her was a woman." Alec explained.

"And since your gift is to weaken other's physical powers it could explain why none of the Kings wasn't able to fight back or anything, but just watch." Carlisle spoke calmly. "Were you there that night?"

"I wasn't." Aiden shook his head.

Everyone looked at him for a while more, waiting for him to reveal that he was there after all.

But then Jasper spoke up.

"He's telling the truth." He could feel his emotions. "He didn't do it. He didn't have any idea that she was gone but just now."

"Are you sure?" Felix asked him and Jasper nodded. "Very well then."

"We are sorry to disturb you." Alec spoke and all of them turned back to the door to leave.

They couldn't spend too much time in one place. Because every minute that they wasted the killed would be further away from them.

"It's fine." Aiden nodded and walked with them to the front door.

Everyone walked out of the house but Emmett stayed behind a little longer.

Emmett reached out his hand for Aiden to take so they could shake hands before they left.

Aiden looked at Emmett's hand and then his own that Jasper had ripped off hundreds of years ago when the Cullens found out that he had abused Juliana.

"Oh right. You can't." Emmett chuckled and then exited the house behind the others.