57. A Berserker Wedding

Author's Note

The final chapter for Race to the Edge! Oh, how far we've come.

--- reading starts here ---

The war was over, and a new era had begun. And what better way to start a peaceful living again, than by having a wedding?

Dagur and Sigrid had been causing havoc all over Berserker Island, having prepared for what felt like forever, for this very day. The Berserkers were feeling the air of festivity, all excited to witness their Chief's wedding. For some, the first time they'd see one at all, for others, a positive memory hoping to be branded anew. 

"I never realised how weird I would feel, not having my dad there, you know?" Dagur hummed, staring at the empty seats near the altar. 

He and Sigrid were putting the finishing touches on everything; from the decorations, to the napkins, and of course the food. Today, the emotions were running high, as the pair beamed in excitement. It seemed that in his glee, Dagur's whole life with his woman by his side flashed before his eyes, and it made him start to think...

"I guess I just always imagined him to be here, he was always so involved back when we were first betrothed. It used to drive me up the walls! Ha!.. Of course, I realised he could never be there, after we found him on Vanaheim, but it never really hit me until now."

Dagur was right, it never did hit them until now. Oswald had been a kind man, and a very enthusiastic father-in-law. Even though Sigrid didn't appreciate it at the time, as she had no interest in being anywhere near the Chief's son, she was regretful that she hadn't been kinder. Oswald the Agreeable was a man of festivity, from what she remembered, and she couldn't imagine how sad he would be to miss his only son getting married.

But one thing was sure, Oswald the Agreeable would've been a proud man. And this time, Dagur knew that as well. His father would've been proud of him, he was proud of him. It gave the Berserker some comfort, as he confidently made the right decision, for the rest of his life. 

Funny, how things turn out. He might've been ahead of his time, Oswald had been right; Dagur and Sigrid were a wonderful match. That much had became clear over the years. 

Daddy's always right. 

---

The guests from Berk were expected to arrive the night before, for a fun family dinner and a good night's rest before the day of feasting. Stoick had arrived a whole evening before he was actually supposed to, wanting to be there to see his daughter as fast as possible. His recovery had gone well, luckily, and he wanted to get out there as soon as he could. Nothing could make him miss his daughter's wedding, not even a near-death experience. 

"Are you sure you have everything, lass? Skullcrusher and I can go out and fetch a few things if needed-"

"Dad!" Sigrid interrupted the Chief's rambling with a smile. "I promise you, for the tenth time, we have everything we need right here."

Dagur smirked proudly at her side. 

"That's right, Stoick. We've been preparing for this day for years-" he paused at Sigrid's teasing side eye, before flushing red at his mistake, "-I mean months. Although we appreciate your enthusiasm, we've got it all covered."

"Why don't you sit down and have some fun, dad?" Sigrid suggested. "Besides, isn't this your first visit to Berserker Island, ever?"

Dagur gasped in surprise. 

"What?!" The Berserker screeched, before clearing his throat. "I mean- would you like a tour, Chief? I promise it'll be better than the last one."