In the Moment

"I really can carry it myself," John grumbled as Lin carried his large case into the house. His duffle bag was slung over Lin's other shoulder, leaving John with nothing to carry. He was bristling with annoyance as Lin insisted he carried everything. "I'm not a damsel in distress!" John griped as he slipped his shoes off. Lin dropped the case and bag while he sorted out the door and removed his own shoes. He hung his long coat on the stand, watching as John shrugged out of his light hoody and hung it up.

"Don't be so defensive. Your coming heat is draining your strength...I'm here, so there's no need to push yourself." His considerate words and gentle assurances made John's heart skip, but at the same time, he didn't want to seem so weak that he couldn't handle a simple bag of clothes. He stubbornly went to his case and tugged the handle, almost panicking as he failed to raise it from the floor. On the second try, he managed to heft it enough to take it a few steps, but it soon dragged him down. Why can't I lift it? It isn't even heavy! "John...it's alright..." Lin assured as he gently pried the handle from his stunned fingers.

He led him through to the kitchen, hoping that a mug of tea would calm him down. John felt vulnerable and weak as he sat on one of the stools and allowed Lin to make the tea. When he was done, Lin sat beside him, sitting close and letting his scent soothe his omega. He could feel him slowly relaxing, the chilli chocolate scent and the warmth of the mug lulling him into a state of quiet bliss. That was good. That was how an omega should be just before their heat.

"I know it must be frustrating and strange, but this is only temporary...After your heat, your body will return to normal." He knew he was right, but he didn't like it. He felt useless. Weak. Feeble. He was a burden. "Come on...let's head upstairs." Lin gently coaxed him up to follow him with his tea. He left the bags for now. It wasn't like anyone else would come home that night, and John wouldn't need anything for a while.

John followed Lin upstairs, his omega purring happily as he was finally surrounded by his alpha's scent. The room had barely changed, but there was one huge difference that made John's breath catch. A small whimper escaped as he padded over to the window, where Lin had built a sort of cosy bench into the alcove. Along the lower half of the window was a padded barrier he could lean against without getting cold or risk falling through the glass. The windowsill had been extended outwards and coated with a plush cushioned padding, and a backrest had been added. There was also an armrest on the outside, so it was almost like curling up in an armchair.

"I thought you looked a little uncomfortable before..." Lin excused quietly as he padded over and climbed into the seat. He leaned back against the padded surface of the alcove, looking down at the deserted park. He felt happy and secure. He was also deeply touched. He'd had no idea that Lin was gifted with wood work. He could still smell the vague scent of wood and sawdust. "I'm pleased you like it," Lin purred as he stroked John's head over the back of his new chair, leaning his elbow on the padded surface that reached his chest.

"I do, very much...Thank you." Lin watched as John settled down in the seat, rolling from side to side as he seeped his scent into the fabric of the bench. He was almost irresistible. A small trill escaped his lips as he slipped down onto his back, his blonde hair dishevelled on the pale peach material. His lips looked so kissable in that instant. Lin swallowed and looked away. Unsure of John's comfort levels, he planned to keep the same arrangement as before.

"Would you like your book?" he asked as John sat up and cradled his mug once more. He nodded shyly, noticing a leather bookmark had been slotted inside to keep his page. As he examined it, he found it had his initials embedded in it, along with a small cross. "Here..." Lin leaned across to the padded side near the window and pulled up a small flip table. John placed his cup on the small circle and stared at the table warmly. He let out a small purr as Lin returned yet again with a blanket and his long charcoal cardigan. He left them over the arm of the chair, watching in amusement as both items were swiftly tugged out of sight.