Doubt

"C-cold..." John's teeth chattered slightly as he hunkered down on the bed. Lin, ever the attentive alpha, gently wrapped him in a fleece blanket. He planned on bathing him soon. His heat had finished, and his scent was now back to its normal gentle cotton candy sweetness. Before bathing him, Lin planned to clean up the bedroom, change the sheets, and get rid of the soiled clothing in the nest. It was always quite messy after a heat. Stale sweat, dried slick, and semen was thick on the sheets and the stale scent hung heavy in the air. John continued to shiver as Lin pressed a gentle kiss to his forehead and gathered him up.

"I'll take you to my room." John didn't respond as he continued shivering and curled into his chest. Lin carried him across the hall, quietly worried about his frail state. He was already underweight before his heat had started, but now that it had run its course, he was wasting away. A week of light snacking had left him looking quite anaemic. It wasn't a good sign that he was suddenly so ill, either. He'd come down with it particularly badly over the past three days, giving himself over to his omega completely. Lin laid John on the bed, quickly wrapping the thicker duvet around him, too. John whimpered miserably as he straightened up. He didn't want to be separated from his alpha. Lin's eyes softened as he stroked his damp locks. He looked truly sorry for himself. He was pale and sweaty from both his current illness and his latest heat. Lin was sympathetic as he crouched beside him, smiling as John peered up with glistening blue eyes.

"I won't be long...I'll get the bed ready and then we'll take a shower, alright?" John pouted slightly in response. He didn't want him to leave, even if fresh sheets and a shower did sound good. Lin huffed in amusement, letting his spiced scent wrap around him soothingly. After a final assurance that he would return soon, he left him wrapped securely in the bed. John tried not to move. Whenever he moved, a fresh wave of shivers washed over him. The daylight seeping in through Lin's windows was almost blinding to his sensitive eyes. He huddled on his side, examining the tidy room with tired eyes.

It was sparse. The walls were plain white, and the furniture was all black. The bed was black framed with white sheets, but large. It was a king-sized, likely due to Lin's height. To John, lying all alone, it felt far too big. His gaze finally rested on the single framed picture in the room, set on the drawers beside the bed. Naru? His blue eyes sharpened curiously as he took in the gentle features and warm gaze, lips pulled into an unfamiliar smile. Gene...So that's what you look like...He shuffled a little closer. He was almost hesitant as he reached up, but his grip wasn't strong enough to pick up the photo. He winced as it slipped, the corner of the frame hitting his forehead painfully. His brow pinched as he rubbed the sore skin, though he managed to stop the heavy frame from falling on the floor.

He rolled onto his back, holding the frame loosely as it rested on his chest. The picture was clearly old, and he could tell from the frame that it was well loved. The edges were faded and worn from travel and constant movement. The glass was fairly clean, but he could see multiple fingerprints and smudges. He hadn't wanted to think about it before, but he couldn't help wondering if Lin's relationship with Gene had been more than that of siblings. He didn't keep any other pictures in his room. He didn't even have any other family pictures in his apartment, unless he kept them in his office.

He examined Gene's face again. The warmth in his deep blue eyes. He wondered if Lin had been the one holding the camera. If that were the case, then Gene had certainly adored him. John could recognise it, the love in his gaze. Something about it hurt. Someone else had looked at Lin like that. Someone else had held a place in his alpha's heart. Was that why he hadn't planned on taking a mate? Something in his chest tightened at the thought. So does he really...was he so patient with me because he isn't really invested? He wanted to be sure that wasn't the case.