Contact

"John!" He stirred as he felt a warm hand shaking his shoulder, and a familiar voice calling his name. Blue eyes blinked open to be met with darkness. The only light came from the ghostly figure kneeling beside him on the black surface that could be solid or not. John still couldn't work it out. Gene looked relieved as his eyes focused and he pushed himself up tiredly. "I was so worried when I couldn't get through. I thought you'd..." He almost shivered at the thought.

"I think for a while I did..." John replied uncertainly, shuddering at the memory. It had been so much more terrifying in reality. Knowing it was his own body tumbling through the air and feeling the sharp icy coldness of the water as he broke the surface had been far more horrifying than Gene's memories. He could have sworn he'd heard Lin cry, but he couldn't be sure against the wind roaring in his ears. His memory after hitting the water was fuzzy and unfocused. He remembered feeling so cold his skin burned, chilling him right to the bone, but besides kicking his feet, there was nothing. He was pretty sure he must have passed out a few moments later.

"I'm so sorry. If you hadn't been looking for me..." Gene trailed off, stopped by John's hand pressing his soft lips. Guilty blue eyes blinked owlishly.

"It isn't your fault. I'm the one who leaned on the barrier. I should have been more careful." Gene remained unconvinced and gripped his pale hand tightly. His breath was surprisingly hot as he held his hand against his lips and kissed it almost reverently. John said nothing as the alpha held his hand against his chest in a mixture of remorse and relief. He touched Gene's hand reassuringly, giving him a gentle smile.

"I don't know what I'd do if...Lin's suffered so much already, I..." Gene had been horrified as he'd watched things unfold, unable to reach John and warn him in time, and unable to do anything for Lin as he'd fallen out of sight. Seeing the dead look in Lin's eyes had been enough to drive him to despair. He'd already had to watch it once. Having to see that look again was too much for him to bear. "I'm so glad you're safe," he sighed as he opened his eyes and gazed at John's pale face. He leaned in against his shoulder, breathing the mixture of sweet and spicy. Lin's scent mingled with John's, comforting him in his grief and guilt.

"Yes...We did it Gene. We found the place." It felt like a weight had been lifted from his chest at the realisation. He'd been so worried that they wouldn't find it, that Gene would remain forever lost. Now it was just a matter of time before they found his body and laid him to rest. Gene looked somewhat serene as he nodded his agreement. He'd been waiting for so long, trying so hard to lead his brother in the right direction.

"You found it...I'm grateful," Gene corrected warmly as he gripped his hand tighter. Once his body was found, he'd finally be ready. He'd be able to let go of this existence and move on. It pleased him to know he'd be leaving his brother and lover in capable hands. John had filled the black space he'd left in their lives. He was a warm, gentle presence to ease Oliver's sharpness, and a loving presence that would help Lin heal and give him the family he deserved. He smiled almost serenely as he leaned in and rested his forehead against John's.