10

The middle Black child sat on her bedroom floor absolutely disgusted as she stared at the newspaper in her hands. The girl looked at the scratch marks she'd caused on her hands as she flicked through the article that her mother hadn't read yet. Syd had understood that when her father attacked the train that there would be a motive but not this.

A woman, named Evelyn Skeeter, who was close with the Black family due to her close ties with Walburga, had written:

'On Friday the 17th of December a small group of Tom Riddles followers were presumed to have attacked the school train on the way back from Hogwarts. However very few respectable witnesses can vouch for the event. Three people have been taken into Askabans custody: Orion Black, Bellatrix Black and Fenrir Greyback these individuals all await a proper and fair trial, the outcome of which is yet to be determined. Moody (an Auror working on the case) says "the individuals in question were caught with the help of three family members of the Two blacks, however it is more likely that Greyback will get out of Askaban due to lack of evidence unless witnesses are to step forward".

'During the event in question multiple school children whose families would like to stay anonymous were injured. A girl aged 13 was taken by presumed other members of Riddles followers'

Syd's heart sank. Her father had taken part in a kidnapping. The girl in question was three years younger than her and Sirius. How could someone knowingly hurt and forcibly take someone else, not just someone else but a child. Why?

Sirius and Regulus had informed her of the article that she sat and read over for the fourth time. She couldn't believe What'd happened right Infront of her without her knowing. But someone who did know something was Remus.

Remus was attacked rather brutally when he was only about three by Fenrir Greyback which resulted in the boys lycanthropy. Fenrir didn't just turn Remus that night but he destroyed him. Remus' father, Lyall Lupin was a rather large part in the magical community and Remus' turning was the result of Lyall's cruel words against werewolves.

Filthy animals deserve nothing more than death.

Syd knew the story very well. Remus had told her in their second year when he had explained his furry little problem. However the consiquence of Lyall's words resulted in his own suicide. The man couldn't take having a son like them. He was prejudice and that was his hamartia. His fatal flaw.

Due to his own prejudice the man left his Muggle wife to care for their son.

Hope was a lovely woman, not a shred of prejudice in the woman. She loved her son and saw him for his greatness, she'd care for him and kiss his injuries when he was little, and still did if she got the chance. She wanted the best for him, as a parent should. Syd envied the relationship Remus had with his mum.

However, now was not a time she felt positively towards her best friend. It was rare the girl got annoyed with Remus but she was.

Remus surely would have known that Fenrir was there. If it was smelling him out or some sort of weird werewolf connection. Admittedly she was grasping at straws. It was stupid to be annoyed at him but she truly believed that he knew Fenrir was there.

···

The youngest three Blacks sat around the dining room table as their mother paced around them. The woman was dressed from head to toe in a mixture of silk and lace with her hair elegantly pinned at the back of her head. Walburga's features were more sunken then usual, the skin around her cheeks clung tighter to the bones under it, her eyes darted between her three children as her teeth sunk into her ring finger just above her wedding and engagement rings. The same hands that'd just flicked through the same newspaper Syd had earlier.