Chapter 12. smoke signals

— the whole world can hate me...and you can too, but I will ever pray only for your forgiveness —

and you can too, but I will ever pray only for your forgiveness —

Kim hadn't been pushed away this time.

He was allowed to stay and make better what he had messed up.

Now that he had truly deserved it, to be beaten up...to be punished, there were no nails, no lit candle, no harsh slap to his face.

He wasn't punished. Not physically at least. And he was going to make anything in his power to make sure that Chay would never regret giving this opportunity to him.

Kim knew that Chay hated him. And that was okay. It was better than Chay ignoring him completely. It was better than being nothing but a speck of dust in Chay's life.

It was better, better, better...

Chay groaned in pain, closing his eyes for a moment. Fuck, he was so hungry, he couldn't even remember when was the last time he ate anything. And he was cold, so cold.

Fuck you, Kimhan. Seriously, fuck you!

"How do you feel? Can you put the address in the GPS?" Kim asked, looking at Chay with worry.

"I'm not dead," Chay reached towards the GPS and put in the address, "I can do stuff...I just can't beat the shit out of you...yet."

Kim started the engine of his black Chevrolet Camaro and looked at Chay, "when that day comes I'll be here."

Chay turned away, choosing to look out of the window rather than at Kim. He mumbled under his breath, "yeah, I know you will."

*****

The building was standing tall above all the other buildings in the area. People were walking around it with their children or significant other as if they didn't know that just a few meters away from them was a group of the most infamous rogue heroes in the country.

The glass door swung open and Chay saw, probably his favourite member of the Heist Squad right after his brother, Tankhun waltzing out, a huge grin covering his face. Chay knew that grin, it couldn't mean anything else than shopping time for the biggest fashionista he knew.

Seeing someone from the Heist Squad brought a kind of relief to Chay he didn't even know that he was seeking. He was back home. It was all going to be fine.

Even with the executioner breathing on his neck.

"This is it?" Kim asked flabbergasted. "The Heist Squad is this big flashy building in the middle of the city which everyone can see and you are telling me you don't have cops here every day?!"

"One word," Chay shrugged, "corruption... Besides, you don't know it's the Heist Squad if you aren't a part of it. It looks like any other building in the city."

"It doesn't," Kim shook his head.

"It does, Kimhan! What's weird is you owning a Chevrolet while living where you live."