Chapter 25. vicious kindness

— obsession was a part of him I was obsessed with the most —

Returning to the place you wished to leave behind may open the old wounds or close them forever

Kim hoped that it would be the second option.

Phuket seemed quiet. Tourists were scattered here and there, but it was way more tranquil than that night when Kim escaped the convent. Kim still remembered as if it was only yesterday when he was running down the streets full of people, most of them young and drunk at that ungodly hour. Kim vividly remembered bumping into a young boy, maybe around twenty years old. Kim remembered the boy's mad face when Kim fell right in front of him. Kim remembered that sticky feeling when whatever it was that the boy had in his cup got splashed all over his old and dirty clothes.

But Kim remembered also how despite that, he felt happy. Because he was out. Out of that hell. Out of that place where he learned only how to be the worst version of himself.

Kim could still hear the tone of the boy's voice when he started yelling at him. Kim didn't remember the exact words, but the tone...that stuck with him. Kim wondered if the boy would still yell at him if he knew what Kim did just minutes before their encounter. He wondered if the boy would still yell at him if he knew what Kim would become in the future. He wondered if the boy would still yell at him now if they would accidentally meet on the street again.

"Baby..." Chay squeezed Kim's hand to get his attention. Kim looked too deep in his thoughts. Chay was surprised at how well Kim could still drive despite that.

"I am fully awake," Kim proclaimed.

Chay laughed, "I know. I just wanna ask if you want to go to see the convent first or if we should go to the house first?" Because, apparently, the squad actually had a house in Phuket, which Porsche just didn't bother to mention to Chay before.

Kim looked at Chay when they were standing at the red light, "if we go, I want it to be now because I want to be focused fully on our mission. And I don't think that I would be able to do that if we were to do our mission before that."

Chay slowly nodded, not really buying Kim's words because he knew damn well that despite Kim saying he wanted to focus on the mission, he would be focused on Chay instead. But okay, Chay smiled for himself, "okay then. How far is it?"

Kim looked around, "actually, not that far. Maybe fifteen minutes from here."

+++++

Kim parked the car behind the trees, at a moderate distance from the convent. Sitting in the car, they had a good view of the gate and the yard behind it. Now, when Kim was on the other side of the gate and there was no way he would be forced back there, the convent didn't look that scary. Yet it still looked exactly how he remembered it.

"It still looks the same," Kim said quietly. "Dead. It was always dead from the outside and rotten from the inside. It was so hard to breathe there."

Chay unbuckled his seat belt and leaned over to Kim. Wrapping his hands around Kim's arm and resting his chin on Kim's shoulder, Chay scrunched his nose, "it looks like fucked up set piece from one of the Hitchcock movies."