Chapter 19. the villain who cried wolf

— he turned my loneliness into ashes —

The damage was done. The porcelain was broken. The skin was cracked. The executioner had been executed.

Chay swallowed dryly and stepped into the bathroom. Kim was leaning on the sink, hands gripping the edge of the vanity, his head ducked low, washed-out blue hair falling into his red eyes, tears dripping down just like his blood; tear after tear colliding with the bathroom tiles, reminding Chay that Kim was a human too, with blood and tears, that he was allowed to shed when he was broken when he was down...that he was more than just a villain who cried wolf.

"I'm crying," Kim's lips left a broken chuckle, "I don't remember when was the last time I cried like that... I don't... I don't..."

"Kim, it's okay, you can cry... that's okay, that's more than okay," Chay kept his voice low and gentle, slowly taking step by step towards Kim. When he was close enough, he kicked away the bloody knife and quickly, before Kim could notice anything, he bracketed Kim between himself and the vanity.

Kim's body twitched, his head jerked up, his eyes wide and scared, looking right at Chay. Suddenly Kim pushed Chay away. At least he tried, but Chay barely moved, shaking his head in disapproval.

"Kim, let me—"

"No!" Kim said, his tone reminded Chay of that day when he said to Kim that he wanted to die; same kind of "no", same kind of terrified face.

"Kim, I have to heal it. I can still heal it without any scar—"

Kim shook his head, pressing his hands on his chest, the blood trickling out of the wound more when he pressed on it more, more, and more. "I want to keep it. I want to keep you."

"But you can," Chay carefully took one of Kim's hands in his, intertwining their blood-stained fingers together, he whispered into the small space between them, "you can keep me... if I can keep you too. Deal?"

"Promise?" A tear dropped onto their joined hands, stopping at the edge of Kim's ring, which Chay still wore on his ring finger.

Chay completely forgot that ring. It wasn't bothering Chay on his finger, as if it was part of him meant to be there. Chay wasn't used to wearing rings; he wasn't even sure why he took Kim's ring in the first place. He just did... and forgot to return it. But it was Kim who didn't say a word at that time, letting Chay do and take whatever he wanted... including himself.

A few days ago, even yesterday, Chay would stop and wonder when that shift happened, but now he didn't have time for that. Putting Kim back together was more important, and it went beyond treating his wound or stopping his tears, far beyond that.

"Just like you won't lie to me, I won't lie to you," Chay replied, his thumb gently caressing the back of Kim's hand. "Just let me heal you, okay?"

For a moment, Kim seemed as if he was going to agree. Let Chay heal him so that they could forget any of this ever happened, but as fast as that feeling in Chay sparked, it also faded away.