Chapter 42. voices of the past

— how far will it go until it breaks someone's mind? —

"Going to your boyfriend?" Kim smirked, entering the elevator and sending it down instead of up

"Going to your boyfriend?" Kim smirked, entering the elevator and sending it down instead of up. "How about you go with me instead? I heard you have a pretty nice basement around here."

"Chay let you be with me alone?" Kinn asked, watching as the number on the elevator display turned negative.

"No worries, Sparky will join us in a minute," Kim replied. Kinn had a point in asking. It was hard to convince Chay that Kim would survive one elevator ride with Kinn, but Kim had to find time to be alone with Kinn.

He turned to Kinn, "this is my last warning, Kinn—you hurt Chay one more time, doesn't matter how... you accidentally eat his favourite muffin he was keeping in the kitchen for later... I don't fucking care—you can consider yourself dead. I have never given out so many warnings and I'm really getting tired of it. And he is getting as well. What Chay is going to do to you today won't be pretty, but you'll accept it without fighting, do you understand? That's the last you can do for him after what you have done."

"I never wanted to hurt Chay," Kinn said, looking right at Kim.

Kim had to laugh, "that's a lie. There was a time when you wanted to do it and you did. I guess that's one thing we have in common."

"That's not—"

"The same," Kim interrupted Kinn, "it's the same Kinn. But at least I'm trying not to fuck up again."

At that, the elevator door opened and Chay was already wrapped around Kim's arm, "are you okay, baby?"

"I'm good. I'm good, Sparky. Don't worry."

"I couldn't be sure if he didn't do something again," Chay said loud enough for Kinn to hear.

Kinn sighed, "Chay, I already say I'm sorry."

"Have you? When? I can't seem to remember that. All I know is that my brother apologised instead of you."

Chay's words seemed to shake something in Kinn. Suddenly, he looked more guilty than ever before. He nodded and looked straight into Chay's eyes, "you are right, Porchay. I'm sorry for what I have done to you... and to Kimhan."

"Too late," Chay replied with cold finality and stepped right in front of Kinn. "Follow me," he ordered, his voice deeper, smoother, captivating in the way Kim loved even though he maybe shouldn't.

"Will you use your power on him the entire time now?" Kim asked. He was walking behind Kinn while Chay was leading them through the dark corridors of the basement until they stopped in front of a metal door with a small window in the middle.

"Yeah, once we take him back upstairs, I'll stop," Chay answered Kim with his normal voice which Kim loved the most anyway. It was fascinating to watch Chay switching between using his power on Kinn and not using it on Kim. Kim wanted to know how it worked. How could Chay use his power and simultaneously don't? Or did he switch his power off when he talked to Kim and then on when his attention was on Kinn again?