Chapter 36. acquaintances from the past

— are we friends, or are we just connected by the past? —

"You'll be the prettiest Smurf out there once I'm done," Chay said proudly

They were in the bathroom. Chay was sitting on top of the vanity, fingers casually applying the colour to Kim's hair. Kim stood in between Chay's legs, eyes mostly closed, enjoying Chay's attention to the fullest. But now, Kim opened his eyes, looking at Chay slightly confused.

"What's a Smurf?"

Chay's fingers stopped, he looked at Kim in disbelief, "you don't know Smurfs?"

"Should I?"

Chay shook his head. Thinking about it, considering how Kim grew up, it wasn't that far-fetched that he never came across Smurfs. Well, one thing was for sure, Chay had never even dreamed about one day introducing Kim to Smurfs, but it sounded like it could be a lovely time. They needed time like that; not being worried about anything just diving into the children's world for a while.

He smiled, "you know what? Once we are back home we'll have the Smurfs marathon. It's gonna be fun."

Kim bit his lip, thinking for a moment. "Hmm, is that thing at least cute?"

Chay cocked his eyebrow, "someone wants to be cute now..."

"Just for you," Kim said.

The look in Chay's eyes got even softer than it was before. He pecked Kim's lips and whispered, "you already are as cute as you can be, baby. Now, stop distracting me. I have to finish your hair!"

"You were the one mentioning Smurfs," Kim shrugged.

"Shut up!" Chay giggled. "You never know, I might get so distracted that I accidentally dye your face instead of your hair. Then you will look like a Smurf for real."

Kim shook his head, "you wouldn't—"

He didn't even finish his words and the blue colour was already adorning his cheek.

"What did you say, baby?" Chay asked innocently.

Kim's eyes were wide and his mouth open, "I can't believe how evil you are!"

"Oh, yes. I'm so evil," Chay laughed, but then his laugh morphed into a loud squeal when Kim tried to come way too close, nuzzling his hair, with all that blue dye, right into Chay's cheek. "No no Kiiiim..."

Kim stepped away, chuckling, "don't try to tease me then, Sparky. It won't end well for you."

For a brief moment, Chay could hear the old Kim in Kim's voice. The words that were clearly just fun would in the past sound like a threat to Chay. Now, it made Chay smile. The flickers of old Kim appearing once in a while were somehow soothing for it meant that Chay didn't erase the old Kim completely. He never meant to do that. It was the old Kim that Chay wanted to help. Not kill him and replace him with a new version. The Kim that was with Chay now sometimes felt so different from the Kim he used to be when they met that it made Chay wonder whether the old Kim was gone forever. But then, moments like this would happen and they would always assure him that the old Kim was still here, he was just healing.