Chapter 23. midnight whispers

— ... and then midnight whispered in my ear... he was here, he was with me —

The moon was beautiful that night

Kim found Moonshine cuddled up in the middle of Chay's bed. The fact that Moonshine slept in that bed way before Kim did was upsetting Kim. For some reason, he felt that it was unfair; his own cat had more intimate moments with his Sparky than he had.

Kim crawled his way all the way to Moonshine and patted his fur. "I'm jealous of you. How could you betray me like that, hmm?"

"Meow."

"No, I'm not sharing Sparky. He is mine!" Kim huffed, burying his nose into Chay's pillow and closing his eyes. Chay smelled like comfort. Kim couldn't really find the words to explain what it was, but to him, this was the scent of comfort. Just like the warm blanket but better. Much better. Kim wondered how long it would take for him to start carrying with himself the scent of Chay everywhere. He wanted to be covered in it from head to toe, inside and out. Covered in comfort he never had. Covered in Chay he never dreamed to have.

Kim had been paying attention to one particular thing about himself.

His mind. The chaos in it. It was getting calmer, less violent, more logical... Something that Kim was always afraid of. Something that was always giving him agonizing headaches... It suddenly didn't seem that scary. It didn't hurt that much.

With Chay, it was better. With Chay, everything was better.

Kim felt Moonshine's soft paws on his arm and the fluffy creature nuzzling into his shoulder. Kim wrapped a hand around Moonshine and pressed a kiss on Moonshine's head, "we have a home now, buddy. Real home."

The door creaked just a little when Chay stepped inside, his heart swelling at the sight. Instantly getting his mood up. "Did you two ask for permission to take my bed?" Chay asked, looking at the two cats cuddled up on his bed.

Kim barely opened his eyes as he mumbled into Chay's pillow, "I want to live here."

"Rent free?" Chay walked to Kim and leaned over to him, "no, you are going back to your room."

"Sparky, don't be mean," Kim looked up at Chay and pulled him down to himself and Moonshine.

Chay huffed, going back into the sitting position and pulling Kim with him. Moonshine let out a little growl, and with his tail swinging left and right, he jumped down the bed, annoyed.

"Let's unpack your things," Chay said, trying to tame Kim's ruffled hair into a presentable hairstyle once again.

"Was Kinn nice to you?" Kim asked.

"Yeah," Chay smiled. "He told me not to let you inside of my head."

Kim smirked, sneaking his head around Chay's waist, eyes locked on Chay's lips, "but that's too late, isn't it, Sparky?"