Chapter 8: The Tutoring Session

Int. Shujin Academy – Early Morning

The date is now Saturday, May 15th; Makoto is in the student council room, before school starts because she has a tutoring appointment with a student. She has her headphones on, listening to music while typing up a paper for one of her classes in rapid fashion. The song, "Ranada" by NBA Young Boy starts playing. Makoto stops typing for a minute as she starts singing the lyrics to the song she is listening to.

Makoto Niijima: But I just wanna wrap you up and hold you in my arms for the night; you've been gone for so long, let's celebrate that we unite.

Makoto spins around in her chair so she is no longer facing the door to the student council room and proceeds to keep singing.

Makoto Niijima: Been a thug, I swear I did not mean to hurt you but look who we are, look what we built, now they can't search you.

While Makoto is facing the opposite direction, Akira opens the door to the student council room, noticing that she's singing to herself and that she's not paying attention. He stands idly, enjoying the sight.

Makoto Niijima: She a real rough rider, let me get behind her; put this dick inside her and she just want my title; I make her eat a Perc', fuck her, shawty a survivor; She a hood queen and her name is Ranada!

Makoto repeats the chorus to herself as she spins back around and panics when she notices Akira standing by the door; she takes off her headphones, immediately, and pauses the music on her laptop. The song "Ranada" by NBA Young Boy stops playing.

Makoto Niijima: WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING HERE?! WHY ARE YOU STANDING THERE LIKE THAT; YOU SCARED THE HELL OUT ME OF ME!

Akira Kurusu: I didn't want to interrupt you; you were eating that shit up...

Makoto Niijima: Wait...don't tell me...are you the student I'm supposed to tutor?

Akira Kurusu: I sure am; I made sure to ask for you directly too.

Makoto Niijima: Of course, you did...

Akira Kurusu: So can I sit down, miss?

Makoto Niijima: Please, don't call me miss; that makes this even more awkward. Just...take a seat...let's get this over with.

Akira Kurusu: Try not to sound too excited.

Akira sits in the chair, right in front of Makoto as she takes out a math textbook and opens it up.

Makoto Niijima: Well...I was looking at your graded tests and it seems that you barely failed the ones you didn't do well on...and then did perfect on the other ones...

Akira Kurusu: Uh, I guess I'm just really good at some subjects compared to others, haha.

Makoto Niijima: Actually, based on your test scores, you failed just enough to warrant tutoring...

Akira Kurusu: That's crazy...you gonna get started or not?

Makoto Niijima: Fine, we're starting with Geometry since you, technically, did the worst on that subject.

Makoto begins to explain Pythagorean Theorem while Akira opens up his back pack and takes out a breakfast burrito he had gotten on his way to school. He loudly unwraps it as Makoto continues to try and teach him.

Makoto Niijima: So the base equation is going to be...

Akira takes a bite out of his burrito and begins chewing it in his mouth.