Chapter 28: The Warning

Int. Madarame Residence – Night

The scene is a flash back and takes place, where the one at the beginning of the episode ended. Madarame has his cell phone in his hand, looking at Yusuke's Mother, who is begging him to call the police, still having her seizure.

Shadow Madarame (Voice Over): In that moment, when I watched your mother dying, this...idea popped into my mind. If she died, I would be able to use her painting as my own. I could finally get out of my slump. It was a cruel thought but I just couldn't help thinking it. But...

After a few more seconds of hesitation, Madarame dials 911 and calls emergency services. While he is still on the phone, Madarame rushes over to help Yusuke's Mother, who is still having her seizure.

Shadow Madarame (Voice Over): I couldn't go through with it. I disregarded the horrible thought and helped your mother.

Int. Madarame's Museum – After School

The scene is now back in the present, with Yusuke and the rest of the team standing over Shadow Madarame.

Shadow Madarame: I took care of your mother and did everything I could to keep her stable until the paramedics came. I even rode with her to the hospital. But...unfortunately, she died in the ambulance, before we could even reach the hospital. The only thing I could think in that moment, was that if I had acted just a second quicker, your mother may have survived. A momentary lapse of judgement cost me everything...it cost me the woman, who probably cared for me the most...and left her son without a mother.

Yusuke lowers his katana and puts it away and has tears coming out of his eyes.

Shadow Madarame: Later that night, I heard crying coming from your room. You had been asleep up until that point. I...went to your room and started rocking you to sleep, just like your mother used to. Somehow, it managed to quiet you down. Just looking at you brought me immense sadness. I knew, in my heart, that I owed you everything...I had to do everything in my power to make sure that you lived a life that your mother would be satisfied with. It wasn't much but it was all I could do.

Yusuke Kitagawa: Sensei...

Shadow Madarame: Somewhere along the line, I lost track of that goal after being blinded by my own success. Perhaps, it would be best if you killed me, right in this moment. The world would be a much better place without me, that's for certain.

Yusuke Kitagawa: No. You will pay for your actions. I do want you to know that I don't blame you for my mother's death. I doubt you reacting a few seconds earlier would have made that significant of a difference but...what you did to me and your pupils...I cannot forgive you for that. We will be taking the treasure and you will return to yourself in the real world and atone for all of your fatal mistakes.

Ryuji heads towards the Sayuri and picks it up.

Ryuji Sakamoto: Now, we got the real treasure. We should probably hurry and get the hell out of here. This place will probably start collapsing like Kamoshida's palace did...

Shadow Madarame: Wait, I count five of you.

Akira Kurusu: Huh, what are you talking about?

Shadow Madarame: What about your other partner? The one with the black mask?

The group looks at each other in confusion.

Ann Takamaki: Black mask? What the hell are you talking about?

Yusuke Kitagawa: Are you really trying to speak more lies?