Chapter 19: Makoto and Eiko

Int. Shujin Academy – After School

Makoto is sitting inside of the student council room, working on her computer when she hears a knock on the door. Makoto looks up from her screen and makes her way towards the door. She opens it and is greeted to Eiko, who is holding a completed form in her hand.

Eiko Takao: Oh good, you're still here. I'm so sorry that it took longer than I expected to get it signed. I had something I had to take care of after school, yesterday.

Makoto Niijima: It's not a big deal; I can take that from you.

Eiko hands Makoto the completed form.

Eiko Takao: So, do you have any plans for after school, today?

Makoto Niijima: Uh...plans? I was just going to finish up some things here in the student council room and then probably head home.

Eiko Takao: Oh, did you want to hang out? I don't mind waiting a couple minutes while you finish up.

Makoto Niijima: You...want to hang out...with me?

Eiko Takao: Yeah, I got these tickets to see that new movie at the movie theater in Shibuya but it's kind of a chick flick.

Makoto Niijima: A chick flick?

Eiko Takao: Yeah, it means it's kind of a romantic comedy; do you like those kinds of movies?

Makoto thinks to herself for a moment.

Makoto Niijima: Are you sure? There's probably plenty of other students who would see that movie with you.

Eiko Takao: Yeah but you're like the only real cool person I've met at this school; there's a lot of weirdos at this school to be honest.

Akira walks up to the two girls, who are talking with each other. Makoto speaks, quietly.

Makoto Niijima: Speaking of which...

Akira Kurusu: Oh, I'm not interrupting anything am I? I...uh...just wanted to talk to the student council president for a second.

Eiko Takao: Oh...OH!

Eiko glances at Akira and Makoto both.

Eiko Takao: Yeah, I'll just wait outside of the door for a little bit until you finish up, Makoto. You still want to go, right?

Makoto Niijima: Yeah, I just need to text my sister first and tell her I'm going to be home late. She'll probably think I'm joking at first...

Eiko walks away as Akira makes his way into the student council room, alongside Makoto, closing the door behind him.

Akira Kurusu: She seems cool.

Makoto Niijima: What are you doing here? If you're interested in canceling our tutoring sessions, you can just talk to the principal.

Akira Kurusu: Cancel...nah, that's not why I'm here. I just wanted to apologize, that's all. I acted like a real shit head, yesterday. I don't usually let stuff get to me but something about hearing about what happened at my old school made me...angry. I wasn't mad at you, just the situation. I shouldn't have taken it out on you.

Makoto Niijima: Well, it shows that you do have an ounce of maturity in you since you apologized so that's something. I...probably shouldn't have looked into your past like I did. I just...with all of those rumors surrounding you at this school...

Akira Kurusu: You think that I'm a danger to the students here?

Makoto Niijima: Uh, well...