Chapter 34: Stealth Stat Level 0

Int. Shujin Academy – Afternoon

Akira makes his way to the water fountain to get a drink of water between classes. Once he's finished, he begins to head back to his class. He stops, cautiously, after getting a feeling that someone is following him. He shrugs his shoulders, carelessly, and heads back to class.

Int. Shujin Academy – After School

Akira makes his way through the hallways on the second floor of the school, heading towards the stairs that lead to the first floor. He pauses, getting the feeling that he's being followed, once more. He walks down the stairs.

Int. Shujin Academy – Moments Later

Akira makes his way towards the exit and stops; he turns around, noticing that Makoto is following him and pretending like she is reading a magazine, that is upside down. Akira laughs.

Akira Kurusu: You have to be kidding me.

Akira makes his way towards her as she pretends like she's too invested in her magazine to pay him any mind. Akira, slowly, pushes the magazine down so it's not covering her face.

Akira Kurusu: I see you haven't been working on your stealth stat, huh?

Makoto Niijima: Uh, what are you talking about? I'm just reading this...very interesting article.

Akira Kurusu: Uh huh, is that why the magazine is upside down? I know you're supposed to be pretty smart so does that mean you are skilled enough to read upside down?

Makoto Niijima: Uh...yeah...I mean, no.

Akira Kurusu: Were you following me?

Makoto Niijima: I...might have been...

Akira Kurusu: Still suspicious of me, huh? I don't really mind you following me, it's kind of cute to be honest. I can tell you right now, though, you aren't going to see anything that exciting.

Makoto Niijima: I...cute?

Makoto pushes up the magazine to cover her face as it gets red.

Akira Kurusu: Hey, do you have any plans tomorrow evening?

Makoto Niijima: Plans? Nothing out of the ordinary. Probably just working on homework and college applications.

Akira Kurusu: In that case, mind joining me on a little outing? I was heading with some of my friends to some place in Kichijoji to play darts and pool.

Makoto Niijima: I...don't know if my sister would be fond of that idea. She already thinks I'm slacking hard enough.

Akira Kurusu: Oh, that actually means you're interested in the idea.

Makoto Niijima: I...never said that, either.

Akira Kurusu: Come on, it'll be fun. Besides, we aren't going to stay out that late, especially me. I'll get yelled at by the guy taking care of me if I don't get back to my place by a certain time. You can do your homework and college applications, after.

Makoto Niijima: Why can't you just take someone else?

Akira Kurusu: Well, I don't want to take anyone else. I want to go with you. It'll be fun. Plus, Ryuji and Ann are huge fans of the idea.

Makoto Niijima: Really, I thought that the two of them didn't like me that much?

Akira Kurusu: Nah, Ann was saying how she wished that another girl would be there so it wouldn't just be a bunch of dudes. There's even a new guy we just met that you're really going to like.