Chapter 39: Purpose

Int. Shujin Academy – Afternoon

All of the students are in the gym, after being called to the assembly meeting. Makoto is on top of the stage by herself, waiting for Dr. Maruki to show up and is getting increased anxiety. Ryuji and Akira are among the students standing in front of the stage, where Makoto is standing.

Ryuji Sakamoto: I...couldn't beleive what the hell I was seeing this morning. I just saw Mishima the other day. Fuck.

Akira Kurusu: Where's Ann?

Ryuji Sakamoto: She texted me earlier and said she was skipping today to be with Shiho. That poor girl has been through way too fucking much. First with Kamoshida and now this. Why can't she just catch a break?

Morgana pops his head out of Akira's backpack.

Morgana: Does anyone know the cause of the dude's death?

Ryuji Sakamoto: Nah, the reports didn't say...WAIT, GET BACK IN THE BAG, YOU IDIOT!

Morgana gets back in the backpack, before anyone notices him.

Akira Kurusu: It happened in Shibuya, right?

Ryuji Sakamoto: Yeah, the body was found in Central Street, I think, why?

Akira Kurusu: I've been hearing that some shady shit has been going on at Central Street. Something about students being recruited for strange jobs.

Ryuji Sakamoto: Strange jobs? What the hell could that be?

Akira Kurusu: I have no idea. It makes me wonder, though...

Ryuji Sakamoto: Uh, is she going to be alright up there, alone? The girl looks like she's about to have a panic attack.

Akira looks up at Makoto, who starts slightly shaking, due to being on the stage, alone.

Akira Kurusu: Why the hell is she always addressing the students and not the principal? Isn't that kind of ass-backwards?

Ryuji Sakamoto: It's always kind of been like that. Either the principal will make her do the talking while he stands behind her or he'll just make her do it by herself. The principal tends not to talk that much directly to the students, except for on the announcements.

Akira Kurusu: It's always her...

Ryuji Sakamoto: I mean the girl is his favorite. She's basically, like Ann said, his lapdog. Still though, after meeting her and getting to know her better, she isn't all that bad. I hope her and Ann can get over their issues with each other.

Akira Kurusu: You and me both...

Ryuji Sakamoto: Aye, you want to do some training after school today? I'm trying to sweat all of this stress off, you get me?

Akira Kurusu: Shit, I hate running...

Meanwhile, on the stage, Makoto glances at the wall on the clock to the left of her and realizes that it's time for the assembly to begin. Makoto talks to herself.

Makoto Niijima: Is...he late? Did he cancel last minute?

Makoto takes a deep breath and makes her way to the podium to address all of the students, who start to quiet down when they notice her about to speak. Makoto clears her throat.

Makoto Niijima: G-Good afternoon, students of Shujin Academy. This morning, t-terrible news was learned, that one of our school's very own students, Yuuki Mishima, has passed away. The details s-surrounding his passing are unclear at this point but it is important to remember him as he was and not...