Chapter 11: Status Ailments

Int. Madarame Residence – Evening

The scene is a flashback that takes place 5 years ago. Ichiryusai Madarame is talking to a business man, who is wearing a suit and tie; the two are sitting at a wooden table in the dining hall. Yusuke Kitagawa is also, sitting at the table, drawing something, quietly, while listening to the conversation.

Business Man: Mr. Madarame, I know that this has already been a stressful couple of years for you but it seems that you have been unable to pay the bills on this house for the last two months.

Ichiryusai Madarame: I...I know...I'm terribly sorry but...money's been hard to come by, lately.

Business Man: I understand but, that doesn't help you much in this situation; I'm going to be very blunt with you. If you miss another month of payments on this house, then you're going to be evicted and this house is going to be torn down. If you ask me, it's kind of an eyesore...

Ichiryusai Madarame: This...THIS IS MY HOME...THIS IS THE HOME TO ALL OF THE CHILDREN THAT I'M LOOKING AFTER!

Business Man: Yelling isn't going to help your case here; please, settle down.

Ichiryusai Madarame: I...I apologize...that outburst was unlike me...this house just means so much to me...I can't afford to lose it like this. Please, just...just give me another month. I promise I'll find a way to pay what is owed. These kids need this place just as much as I do; I beg of you, if you don't want to do this for me, do it for them. They won't have anywhere to go if this place is torn down; they're all such talented artists too...

Business Man: You must have mistaken me for someone who cares; these kids aren't my problem, just like you aren't. I will give you one more month to pay what you owe but if you don't, you'll be getting another visit from me, only next time, we won't have time to talk. Got it?

Ichiryusai Madarame: I...yes...I completely understand.

Business Man: Good; well, I best be going; you're not the only one who's on the verge of losing their house. These are tough times for everyone, Mr. Madarame, please keep that in mind.

The business man picks up his suitcase, gets up from the table and leaves the house. Now, Madarame and Yusuke are alone at the table while the other boys are in their rooms.

Yusuke Kitagawa: Sensei, are we going to lose the house?

Ichiryusai Madarame: What...oh...of course not...I'll find enough money to pay that bastard back, don't worry about that. Just focus on your art, Yusuke; I have to say, you kids are getting very good with your art, lately. Hmmm...

Yusuke Kitagawa: Are you alright, Sensei?

Ichiryusai Madarame: Oh, everything's fine; I'm just thinking, that's all.

Madarame takes a closer look at the impressive art that Yusuke is drawing and then remembers all of the great artwork that his students have painted for him over the years while he still hasn't been able to design a single painting.

Ichiryusai Madarame: You boys are getting so much older, now; pretty soon, you'll all be fully grown artists...what an exciting thought...

Yusuke Kitagawa: How is your painting going, sensei, have you found any inspiration, yet?

Ichiryusai Madarame: No...but...I know I'll be back to painting here real soon...I can sense it.

Yusuke appreciates his optimism but never in his life has he ever seen Madarame finish a painting, so he heavily doubts that he's telling the truth. He returns to his drawing.