Chapter 12: A Threat

Int. Tokyo Metropolitan Hiroo Hospital – After School

The scene opens with Akechi and Sae walking to Hikari's room since the both of them are off of work.

Goro Akechi: You know, you didn't have to come with me, today. I forgot I had told Hikari that I would visit her today and I didn't want to let her down.

Sae Niijima: It's fine, I already texted Makoto that I would be home late; besides, Hikari is sweet and it's...interesting to see how you interact with her.

Goro Akechi: What...what do you mean by that, exactly?

Sae Niijima: Well, it's obvious that you have a soft spot for her...

Goro Akechi: It's...I just...there's just something about her...that somewhat reminds me of myself when I was younger. The lonely expression she always has until I arrive and when I leave...when my father left...I remember always having that same expression.

Sae Niijima: I never knew your father left...

Goro Akechi: Yes, it was a long time ago and I don't usually like to talk about it since it's in the past. There's no point in dwelling on it since I've moved on but the poor girl is seriously ill and all alone...there's nothing I can do about her illness, unfortunately but...at the very least, I can make the girl feel less lonely.

Sae Niijima: Well, I think it's sweet and I can just tell from what I saw when I met her that you just being there for her is enough to make that girl's day. Your father may not have been in your life but it's...impressive, that you moved passed that and didn't let him drag you down with him. You'll never be your father; I hope you know that.

Goro Akechi: Yeah, I suppose you're right...

The two arrive at Hikari's room and to both of their surprise, the door is cracked open and a voice can be heard from inside of the room that doesn't sound like Hikari's voice.

Sae Niijima: Are you sure she wasn't expecting any other visitors during this time?

Goro Akechi: I don't believe so; perhaps, it's a doctor, checking in with her?

The two open the door and walk inside to greet Hikari, who is teary eyed, talking to an older man, who looks to have some similar features as Hikari.

Unknown Man: Oh, you must be the one visiting my daughter...she was just telling me about you a second, ago, isn't that right, honey?

Hikari remains silent, in fear of her father.

Hikari's Father: I was just in the neighborhood, so I thought I would pay Hikari a visit.

Goro Akechi: Why is she crying?

Hikari's Father: Hm?

Goro Akechi: Why is Hikari crying...what the hell have you been talking to her about?

Sae Niijima: Akechi, settle down.

Goro Akechi: No, Sae, it's fine; I'm just curious, that's all.

Hikari is sniffling.

Hikari Sasaki: Hi...Akechi...I'm sorry...I...I tried to explain to him that you were coming...

Hikari's Father: Quiet down, honey, the grown-ups are talking...oh, my bad, it doesn't seem like I'm talking to an adult...just a kid...and who are you, miss, his sugar mamma?

Sae Niijima: I'm his partner.

Hikari's Father: OH, THAT'S RIGHT! YOU'RE THE "HIGH SCHOOL DETECTIVE"...the one my daughter used to go on and on about...oh...so that's what this is.