Chapter 42: Is He Usually This Stupid?

Int. Niijima Residence – Evening

Makoto makes her way into her house, where both Akechi and Sae are sitting at the dining room table, looking over files. Sae doesn't even look up from the files. Akechi does and greets her.

Goro Akechi: Ah, good evening, Makoto. I hope you don't mind. We were just looking over some files.

Makoto Niijima: No, it's fine...

Sae Niijima: You're home late, again...

Makoto Niijima: Oh, right. I had to help the principal with something after school today.

Sae Niijima: Just be safe, alright? I don't want you going anywhere near Shibuya until it's safe.

Makoto Niijima: Don't worry about me, sis. I don't usually go out anyways.

Goro Akechi: Oh, we have some left overs in the fridge from lunch. I don't know if you're hungry but...

Makoto Niijima: Thanks but I'm not really feeling too hungry. I think I'll just head to my room for the night. Good luck with the case files.

Makoto walks to her room as Sae still doesn't look up from the files. Akechi watches after her, worriedly. The door to Makoto's room can be heard closing in the background.

Goro Akechi: Um, you know, every time I've been over here, I don't think I've ever seen your sister really eat anything.

Sae Niijima: She...she hasn't really been a big eater for a while. She'll eat some salads or small snacks but nothing really that big.

Goro Akechi: Isn't...that kind of concerning?

Sae Niijima: I've tried to convince her to eat more but it doesn't seem to work.

Goro Akechi: Did...did this loss of appetite happen around the loss of her father?

Sae looks up from the case files, annoyed.

Goro Akechi: I...I'm sorry...I shouldn't pry.

Sae Niijima: Let's just stay focused on the case. The sooner we can close it, the better.

Akechi glances over at Makoto's room.

Goro Akechi: R-Right.

Sae and Akechi continue to look through the case files on Kaneshiro, obtaining as much information about him as possible.

Int. Niijima Residence – Continuous

Makoto is inside of her room, slouched against the back of her door with her face in her hands, crying.

Int. Shujin Academy – After School

The date is now Wednesday, June 16th and Akira, Ryuji and Akira are standing outside of Akira and Ann's classroom.

Ryuji Sakamoto: So, you guys ready to do some investigating?

Akira Kurusu: Yeah, Yusuke said that he'll try to do some investigating around his school to see if anyone has noticed anything.

Ann Takamaki: What about miss president?

Akira Kurusu: I haven't heard from her, yet, today. Knowing her, she's probably already looking into things on her own.

Ann Takamaki: Well, we can text her in the group chat if we figure anything out, on our end. I say, let's split up.

Akira Kurusu: Yeah, I agree. We'll be able to figure out more information that way.