Chapter 44: Knock Off Super Heroes

Ext. Shinjuku – Night

Akira and Makoto walk through the streets of Shinjuku to the station. Akira has his hands in his pockets.

Akira Kurusu: So, what did you find out?

Makoto Niijima: I have a name, Junya Kaneshiro. Apparently, he's a mob boss that operates out of several regions in Japan. It seems like he's planning on making Shujin a large source of income for himself.

Akira Kurusu: A name, huh. That's one-third of what we need.

Makoto Niijima: One-third?

Akira Kurusu: It's a bit complicated. We can talk about it when we meet up tomorrow to tell the others what we've learned.

Makoto Niijima: Right. Of course.

Makoto stops, after seeing a food stand that catches her attention. The food stand is selling ice cream.

Akira Kurusu: Uh, did...you want to try it?

Makoto Niijima: Huh?

Akira Kurusu: The ice cream?

Makoto Niijima: Oh, I've never tried it, personally, but my dad...it was always his favorite food. He would always offer to buy me some but I never did because...I was dieting at the time.

Akira Kurusu: Dieting? You were chunky?

Makoto Niijima: I...was slightly overweight, that's all! Still though, sometimes I wish I would have just had ice cream with him...it probably would have made him really happy.

Akira Kurusu: Well, in that case...

Akira makes his way to the stand, before Makoto can stop him and orders for them both. The lady at the stand hands Akira two vanilla ice cream cones. After paying her, Akira makes his way back to Makoto and hands her one of the ice cream cones. Makoto, hesitantly, takes it.

Makoto Niijima: You...didn't have to do that...

Akira Kurusu: Life is too short for regrets. I know that this isn't the same as eating it with your dad but...we can still eat it in remembrance of him, right?

Makoto Niijima: I...suppose you're right.

Makoto takes a bite out of the ice cream. Makoto talks with her mouth full.

Makoto Niijima: It's cold...

Akira Kurusu: Uh, you're supposed to lick it...

Makoto Niijima: Huh?

Akira Kurusu: Eh, never-mind, just do your thing.

Makoto continues to take large bites out of the ice cream as Akira internally cringes.

Makoto Niijima: Hey. Thanks for doing this. My dad probably would have liked you. He always wanted to see me loosen up a bit and said I worked myself too hard...he said I was too much like him in that regard.

Akira Kurusu: Really, you think so? I am a pretty like-able guy. Come on, I should get you home.

Akira and Makoto walk towards the station, eating their ice cream together.

Ext. Shibuya – After School

The date is now Thursday, June 17th and the group of Akira, Ryuji, Ann, Yusuke and Makoto are standing in Shibuya away from large crowds of people. Morgana is sitting on Akira's shoulder.

Makoto Niijima: So, you're telling me that you all go to another world, in order to change other people's hearts and you use an app to travel there?