Chapter 17: Truth is Stranger Than Fiction

Int. Madarame's Residence – Night

The scene is a flashback that takes place three years ago and begins with Yusuke sleeping inside of his bed until being interrupted by a loud noise coming from outside of his room. The noise sounds like hollering. Yusuke gets out of bed, slowly, and wanders outside of his room to see what's going on; he follows the yelling to another room, one that belongs to Nakanohara, another one of Madarame's pupils that is living inside of his home. Yusuke can now hear that the yelling is coming from his master, Madarame. Yusuke almost speaks to ask what is going on but decides to listen in on the conversation from outside of the door.

Ichiryusai Madarame (Off Screen): WHAT AREN'T YOU GETTING?! IT ISN'T THAT HARD TO FIGURE OUT!

Natsuhiko Nakanohara (Off Screen): Se...Sensei, I don't understand...you said you wanted me to paint from the heart...I...

Ichiryusai Madarame (Off Screen): THAT DOESN'T EXCUSE YOUR WORK LOOKING LIKE IT WAS DRAWN BY A NOVICE PAINTER! DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW IMPORTANT IT IS FOR YOU TO GIVE ME YOUR BEST WORK...I NEED IT FOR...

Natsuhiko Nakanohara (Off Screen): For...for what...why is it so important that you have one of my artworks...

Ichiryusai Madarame (Off Screen): BECAUSE I SAY IT IS! YOU'RE LIVING UNDER MY ROOF...DON'T YOU EVER FORGET THAT, YOU LITTLE SHIT!

Natsuhiko Nakanohara (Off Screen): I...I'll try to do better next time...I just need to get some sleep and I can...IT...IT ISN'T MY FAULT YOU CAN'T PAINT ANYTHING YOURSELF!

Yusuke hears a painful slap through the door.

Ichiryusai Madarame (Off Screen): HOW DARE YOU DISRESPECT ME LIKE THAT...AFTER EVERYTHING I HAVE DONE FOR YOU! WHO DO YOU THINK PAYS THE BILLS FOR THIS HOUSE THAT YOU'RE STAYING IN? ME! THAT'S WHO! ALL I'M ASKING FOR IS A LITTLE ASSISTANCE...THAT'S THE LEAST YOU COULD DO FOR ME!

Natsuhiko Nakanohara (Off Screen): THIS IS WHY ALL OF YOUR PUPILS ARE LEAVING! YOU'RE INSANE! FUCK YOU! I DON'T NEED TO PUT UP WITH YOUR BULLSHIT!

Ichiryusai Madarame: What the hell are you talking about?

Yusuke hears footsteps coming and decides to run away and hide in his room, still peaking from a crack in his door, to see what transpires. Nakanohara opens the door to his room and walks out, making his way towards the exit of the house.

Ichiryusai Madarame: WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING?!

Natsuhiko Nakanohara: The only reason I didn't do this sooner was for Yusuke but I can't put up with you anymore; everyone...all of the other pupils were right about you...you're a fucking LEECH!

Ichiryusai Madarame: Let's just talk about this...maybe, I was out of line...

Nakanohara ignores him as he opens the front door and walks out, letting the door shut behind him.

Ichiryusai Madarame: FUCK! DAMN IT!

After the incident is over, Yusuke makes his way out of the room to confront his master about what has just transpired. Madarame sees Yusuke standing in front of him.

Yusuke Kitagawa: Sensei...what was that about...the yelling...he called you a leech...what did he mean by that?

Ichiryusai Madarame: I...I don't know; you know how much of a troubled student Nakanohara can be...I...I just lost my patience with him.

Yusuke Kitagawa: But you scolded him for drawing what he was passionate about; isn't art about...

Ichiryusai Madarame: Listen, Yusuke, you have to believe me, everything that I do...everything I've done for these past years...it was for all of you...it's just that...you're the only one that still sees that. The others...didn't. Yusuke...promise me you won't leave me; I...I don't have anyone else...they've all left...