11

"We've been friends since we were kids"

After dinner, they all gathered in the lobby.

"So we're shit tired, and gonna head to our- my room. Bye!" Cory announced as he started walking.
"Brooke, let's go" Topanga smiled.
"You get going...I'll be there in a while" Brooke smiled as Topanga nodded and left.

She goes over to the "nook" also known as the bay window and sees Shawn.
"Oh I didn't see you there" She chuckled, and turned around, not wanting to disrupt his alone time.
"Join me?" She turned around a bit surprised. "Huh?"
"You heard me. I could use some company" Brooke gave him a cheeky smile.
"I'll be right back.

A few minutes later, she walked back down with 2 cups of hot chocolate with marshmallows floating on top.
"Hey you didn't have to!" Shawn smiled, taking a cup in his hand.
"I was gonna make one for myself, anyway." She smiled, sitting on the soft cushions as she made herself comfortable.

"Even though you reassured me, I felt like I kinda ruined your plans" Brooke looked out the window and spoke without looking at him.
"You didn't ruin anything. I kiss girls all the time. It was time I had fun" He smiled.

Brooke looks at him. 

"You used to hate girls" Brooke reminisced. 
"Your brother fed me some lies!" Shawn said, referring to Eric.
"Shawn! You used to gag when Eric used to say "French Kiss"!!" Brooke laughed, sipping on her hot chocolate.
"But now it's my favorite thing in the world" He sighs, internally cringing at himself.

"Do you like croissants?" Shawn asks as Brooke nods.
"Do you like the Eiffel tower?" Brooke nods again.
"Do you like berets" 
"Sure, they're kinda cute" Brooke shrugs.

"Those are three French things you like. Wanna add French kiss to the list?" Brooke whined, hitting his arm.
"What the heck, that was so bad" They both laughed for a bit.

"Do you ever think about how things changed...so quickly and so much" Shawn asks as Brooke falls deep into thought. 
"All the time. It's crazy to reflect on those memories now. Everything was so simple yet complicated that time."
"Hey B...you remember when your parents were out so you, Cory and I experimented with cooking" Brooke burst out at the memory.
"That's one thing I could never forget. Eric and Morgan depended on us for food. They regretted it" Shawn chuckled.

As the moon hung high in the darkened sky, Shawn and Brooke found themselves engrossed in a conversation that seemed to stretch endlessly through the night. They sat under a canopy of stars, sharing stories of their past, dreams for the future, and exchanging laughter as if time itself had taken a backseat. As if it wasn't important anymore and what mattered most was each other's presence. 

"What's stopping you from being him...?" Brooke asked. Shawn had just conveyed how he wanted to be a totally different person from who he was now. His ideal self would be strong, someone who sticks around and is there for people. He wouldn't get into trouble or have bad grades.
"Brooke, you're kidding. I live in a trailer. I can hear my family fighting from two trailers away. You're kidding if you think I have a future" He scoffed.
"I don't think. I'm sure you have a future. A bright one. The nature vs. nurture debate is complicated, Shawn. And even though your nature was a bit messy, doesn't mean your nurturing was." Brooke softly smiled.

"We've been friends since we were little kids. But today, I feel like I know you." Shawn confessed. 
All these years and it took only one night to know each other. They both were sitting a few meters away from each other, sharing one big blanket, enjoying each other's company and holding half empty cups of their 4th or 5th cup of hot cocoa.

The world around them faded into the background, and the hours slipped away like seconds. With every word spoken, the bond between them grew stronger.

Their eyes landed on a familiar figure as frowns of confusion captured their faces.

"Mr. Feeny? Why are you up so late?" Brooke asked, innocently as she placed her cup of half cold hot chocolate.
"On the contrary, Miss Matthews, I'm up early and was just heading for my usual, early morning walk" Brooke's frown deepens.
"Early morning?" Shawn and Brooke look at each other, shocked and their heads snap towards the window. They hear birds chirping from a distance.

They could see the pitch dark sky slowly losing pigment.

"Oh my goodness..." Brooke whispered.
"Oh my goodness indeed..." Shawn said in the same volume.

Their gaze shifts a bit and they see Topanga, Cory and a few others lined up on the stairs.
Brooke realizes her position and immediately throws the blanket off of her lap and stands up straight, followed by Shawn.

Cory and Topanga's eyes were widened.

"You're in the same clothes as yesterday!" Cory commented.
"Uh I had two pairs of the same clothes?" Cory glared at her poor excuse for an...excuse.
"We need to talk" Cory sternly said, as Brooke looked down. 

She obviously now realized how sleepy she was since she was now aware that she was up the whole night. An hour of sleep and a cup of coffee would've her ready to ski today.

Cory glares at Shawn and Brooke and walks out of the lodge.
"Uh...I should probably go change...and sleep for a bit" Shawn said and scurried off.

"What. The. Heck" Topanga looked shocked.
"Dude, we just sat for like 10 min. And then we talked and talked and talked and didn't realize it was morning!"
"Brooke the whole night?" 

"I'll explain later. I'm really sleepy" Brooke yawns as Topanga nods, understanding.
"Oh and...Please save me from Cory" Brooke turned around and gave Topanga a pleading look.
"I'll try my best but I'm not sure I'll pass" 

--

"It wasn't just a friendly conversation. Friends don't talk through the nights under the moonlight" Cory said calmly, although an emotion  very quite opposite pierced through his tone.
"I think you're overreacting just a tad bit. You know, Brooke and Shawn have been friends for a long time. They're just reconnecting, and there's nothing wrong with that." Topanga shrugged.
"I get that they've been friends, but it's different now. They're spending so much time together" Cory said, trying to defend his opinion.
"Honey, you can't just get possessive over Brooke's friendships. I mean Shawn is not ignoring you for her, is he?" Topanga scoffs.

"It's not only about Shawn! It's about Brooke too. Next thing you know, they're gonna start hanging out more. Then hang out without us. Then go on a date. Then kiss. And then they get married. And you know the worst part about this?! I wouldn't know if I'm from the groom's side or the bride's!" Cory groaned in frustration.
"Cory! You're literally just doing irrational thinking! Calm down."

"It's not irrational, Topanga! I don't want my sister and my best friend dating!!" Cory held his head as Topanga tried assuring him. 

"Look, honey. I've known Brooke since we were in diapers. Shawn is the last person she'd fall for..." 

"Tops...I need to...umm...tell you something"

----------------------------------

New boy?