39

"I might have to share another secret with you"

One evening, Shawn invited Brooke to the treehouse in her own backyard. As they ascended the stairs to the cozy corner, Brooke was completely unaware of what awaited her.

 The setting sun painted the sky in hues of orange and pink, casting a warm glow over the scene.

As they climbed up into the treehouse, the nostalgia washed over them, as memories flooded back in. 

Shawn had arranged the room with twinkling fairy lights, candles in glass jars, and a picnic mat set for two, with food and grape juice in a wine glass. Soft music played in the background, creating a romantic ambiance. Brooke chuckled, astonished at this scene. 

"Oh my god...Shawn, this place looks incredible! Almost unrecognizable. What's all this for?" Brooke sat down on the other end of the picnic mat, adjacent to Shawn.
"Our seventh date, m'lady" He winked, handing her grape juice. Brooke took a moment to look around. 

"You know, this was our secret hideout. Remember when we both were playing and knocked of Cory's wedding snow globes. We hid here for hours cause he'd kill us!" Brooke said playfully. 

"Does he know? It has been 10 years. You wanna tell him?" Shawn shrugged. 

"Let's let that bit be our little secret." Brooke laughed. 
"True. But um...I might have to share another secret with you" Brooke smiled. "Mhm? What is it?" Brooke asked, curious.

He closed his eyes, took a deep breathe and gave himself a pep talk. He turned towards Brooke and she mirrored his gesture. 

"Brookie, I've had the best dates of my life with you. I had fun, I was comfortable. I was...happy. I love how we both were open and free with each other. No restrictions. No rules" Brooke's smile widened. "I enjoyed every bit of what we had. And I don't want it to stop" The brunette's smile slowly faded expecting a 'but'. 

Except, Shawn had other plans. 

"I want a label. I want us to be together for longer. I want to make us to be official." Shawn then took Brooke's hand in his as his dark blue orbs held her gaze.  

"Brooke Aurora Matthews. Will you be my girlfriend" An involuntary gasp escaped her lips, as she was in utter disbelief. 
"Oh...my...god..." She whispered under her breathe. Shawn pressed his lips into a thin line, wanting to hear her answer. 

"Yes! A thousand times yes!" As soon as she uttered the words, Shawn tackled her to the ground and squeezed her. 
"Thank you, thank you, thank you" He continuously kept saying. 

After a few moments on the ground, laying in each others' arms. Shawn pulled himself up, hovering over the younger. 

He intertwined his fingers with her as the fingers from his free hand  tenderly brushed away a stray piece of hair that had escaped.