27

"All I want is good music, bright lights, and late nights

"All I want is good music, bright lights, and late nights."

"Listen up, guys," Alan began, his tone firm but caring. "We know you're all capable of taking care of things, but this weekend, we're entrusting you with a big responsibility. We need you to look out for each other and make sure everything runs smoothly."

Amy nodded in agreement, her eyes scanning each of her children's faces. "Morgan and Joshua are going to be with Nana and us, so it's going to be just you three at home. We trust you to follow the rules and be responsible. We would take you guys too but you know, school, college. It's better if you stay home." They all nodded.

"There are some ground rules which you have no choice but to follow" Alan looked at Amy, gesturing her to continue.

"First" Amy listed "Keep the house tidy. We don't expect it to be spotless, but please pick up after yourselves and make sure things stay organized."

Cory grinned. "No problem, Mom."
"Good. Now, second. Eric, Brooke can't have boys over at all, and you guys can have girls over but not overnight. I don't wanna end up with grandkids at the age of 35" Alan glared.

"Not that my single butt is getting anyone home but how is that fair at all?" Brooke pouted at the difference in rules.
"Just go with the rules" Eric snickered, earning a glare.

"Thank you. Third. Absolutely no house parties at all. For heaven's sake. I will find out if any monkey business is on." Alan said, directing towards Eric. "Why are you looking at me?"
"Because you are allergic to rules. Leaving you responsible is like-' Brooke was cut off by her mother.

"Okay, Brooke, that's enough, thank you" Amy interrupted before any fight broke out. "Let's discuss meals, now. Since we're only going away for 2 days, you guys can order lunch and dinner from outside and for breakfast, cereals and toast. Okay? Cory, you're in charge of the money." Cory nodded, as Amy smiled, satisfied.

"Also, Eric, you're in charg-" Alan pauses. "Oh who am I kidding? Brooke, you are in char-" He paused again. "Oh hell no!" He looks at Cory. "Cory, you-" Alan sighs, frustrated. "Y'know what...just stay alive" He walked out of the house with Josh's baby bag in his hand.

"Eric, you're in charge" Amy mouthed before scurrying off behind Alan.

"Okay dweebs. Hear that? [grins] I'm in charge. Your go-to person. Your parent. Your king-"
"Oh shut up, Eric. They're gone for two days" Cory rolled his eyes, plopping himself on the couch.
"You're so full of yourself" Brooke walks away, leaving a whiny Eric. 

"Kids these days" Eric groans.

"Oh and. I'm going to Karen's house, just order lunch-"

"Wait. But Daddy said you can't see girls" Brooke looks up at Eric. 
"Wait but daddy said you can't see girls" Eric said in a high pitched tone, making weird faces as he mocks Brooke.
"I don't talk like that" Earning a whine from the brunette. 

"Dad said I can't have girls over. He never said that I can't go there" Eric winked. "But both of you, behave. I might stay the night there, her parents work night shifts. And please manage dinner and lunch. Don't go hungry. Brooke, if you have any problems, call me. And Cory, if you have any problems, deal with it. Bye kids. See ya"

"So much for being in-charge" Cory mumbled under his breathe.

"I wanna party" Brooke suddenly blurted, making Cory give her a weird look. "What? I know what I said. I wanna party."

"Mom and Dad literally left 10 minutes back, goody-two  shoes. And you wanna party" Cory rolled his eyes.
"Look, All I want is good music, bright lights, late nights" Cory still didn't seem convinced.

"Eric bent the rules. So can we. I mean. Think of it as a...get together. Not a party" Brooke smirked.
"I like the way you think. Guest list?" Cory took a notepad and a pen, and scribbled Shawn's name.
"Aren't you forgetting something?" Brooke raised a brow. 
"No, I'm not. I wrote Shawn" The male said with a dismissive nod. 

"Topanga..." Brooke glared.
"Shit. She can't know about this" Cory panicked. 

--

Shawn fixed his clothes and walked in. He saw Brooke standing on a stool, putting on some decor.

"Hey. The party doesn't start for a few hours" Brooke said, without sparing a glance at Shawn. "Yes but I'm VVIP so it works I guess" He shrugged.

Brooke gets down of the stool and looks at Shawn. 
"VVIP my ass. You were only invited because Cory wanted that. Otherwise I would've never though" She teased.
"You're acting like this is your party" Brooke grinned. 
"It is" She boasted

"Liar." Shawn scoffed.
"No, for real. I forced Cory" 

"No way!" He exclaimed, giving her shoulder a friendly slap "You got some guts" Brooke playfully knees him.

"Now, just move the furniture aside. I gotta go get dressed, okay?"

--

Brooke walks down, wearing a black, sleeveless crop top and a leather skirt that stopped right at her knees

Brooke walks down, wearing a black, sleeveless crop top and a leather skirt that stopped right at her knees. Her brown hair were in a half-up, half-down hairstyle and she wore light make up, courtesy of Topanga. 

There were many familiar faces. Kids from school partied hard, dancing hard to the bops of the 90s. Thankfully, this party was 100% in control. No making out, no sex and definitely no alcohol. It was G rated, yet fun.

"Sick party, Brooke" She smiled at the cute boy's comment and mumbled a thank you before marching forward to find her circle.

"Holy sh- Who're you? What have you done to my best friend?" Shawn asked with his mouth open, dramatically.
 "Stop, I'm already embarrassed" Brooke sheepishly looked down. 
"You look fantastic, Brookie" She looked right into his eyes, the "he's your crush" reminder creeping back in. "You look...beautiful..." He whispered, but Brooke could read his lips. She felt blood rush up to her cheeks as even her ears turned pink.

Before Brooke could even respond or even thank him, Cory comes from behind. Shawn snaps out of his trance.
"I was just telling her that I like her hair!" Shawn abruptly said, defending himself. 
"What?" Brooke and Cory look at each other and then at Shawn. 
"Nothing" He mumbled, as Cory wrapped an arm around Shawn and walked away with him. 

It had been one month since his break up. Brooke wasn't even sure if he was over her or not. But in the past month, their story had escalated. Even if she was in her pajamas, he'd compliment her. They've had moments where they're just stuck in their own world, locking eyes. 

And although, Brooke took these as "hints". Shawn was flippin' clueless.

------------------------

Mixed signals be like