57

"Shawn's girlfriend, Brooke's boyfriend"

"Looks like we're here" They looked at Shawn's trailer.
"Brooke...um...I gotta tell you something. Can you come inside?" Brooke, slightly startled by the question, nodded.
"Yeah for like a few minutes, I guess" She shrugged.

They walked in and saw Virna preparing lunch.
"Hey h- Brooke! hey sweetie, what a great surprise. Lemme fix ya up a plate real quick too" Virna excitedly chirped.
"Oh, no, Virna, thanks a lot but I'm leaving in a few minutes." Brooke kindly replied with a smile.

"How was your day, Shawny?" Virna asked, ruffling his hair.

"So there's this kid at school, and his milk fell off his tray and went all over the floor." Shawn said, pissed.
"Well, in the broad scheme of things, you're gonna have worse days, Son" Virna joked.
"And then somebody came along and cleaned up that milk. In front of everybody" Shawn continued, nibbling on his lip.

"I see. Well, did he do a good job? Did he leave the floor clean and lemony fresh?" She asked, with a small smile.

"Mom, Dad's a janitor. He's a school janitor. It's humiliating." Shawn gulped.
"I'm sorry you feel that way because I'm so proud of him I could bust." Virna proudly boasted.

"Mom, what's there to be proud of?" He asked, slightly frustrated.
"Shawn, for years, we have lived on your father's stories, and those stories just used to make me angry, 'cause none of them were real, but your story about your father being a janitor, that's real. So, yes I am proud of him" She explained.

"You won't get it" He sighed. "Let's go Brooke" He took her hand and dragged her in his room. "Literally no one gets me" He dumps his bag on his bed. Brooke moves the clothes on his bed to make room. She sits down and sighs.
"Baby, it's not that. Of course people understand your point of view, and you're not wrong...especially after what happened today with poppy the porcupine-" Shawn burst into chuckles, amazed at Brooke's straight face. "-but you're not right either. You should be proud of your dad like your mom is." She placed a palm on his shoulder.

"Brooke, it's not the fact that he's a janitor. It's that it's in my school. A school we go to. I have a rep"
"And nothing is harming that rep" He opened his mouth to speak but paused.

"I'm gonna get us some water before I tell you the actual reason why I wanted to talk." Brooke nodded as Shawn got up to go in the living room. He saw Virna's arm around Chet. And from what he could make out, her telling him that she was proud of him and massaging his shoulders.

"Dad, are you okay with this job? I mean, it doesn't bother you to be cleaning up after other people?" Shawn asked. "Well, it ain't exactly pearl-diving in Portugal, but, well, it has this amazing benefits package." Chet chuckled, earning a scoff from his son.

"What benefits are there to being a janitor? Well, for one thing, after being on the road a year away from my son, what better benefit than a job that lets me be near him?" Shawn stood there for a moment, grasping the words. He took a few steps back and into his room where Brooke sat patiently.