34

"I'm so freaking nervous"

"Brooke, honey, I get it, it's your first date and you're excited and all but you don't need to start getting ready at 2 PM if you have to leave at 7:00 PM" Brooke looked extra gleeful today and refused to help out with Josh since she won't have time to get ready, which concerned Amy. "Who is this mystery boy anyway? I hope you know that Dad won't entertain a boy if he hasn't met him first" Brooke's smile faded. 

"Mom, c'mon, he's a really good friend of mine. And I wanna go on a few more dates before Dad meets- scares him away" She rolled her eyes. 
"Yeah yeah I'm the bad guy for protecting my kids" Alan appeared from behind and sulked. 
"Dad, I'll be fine. It's my first date. Please not the emotional blackmail" Brooke sighed. 

"Brooke, you didn't even tell us his name. How am I supposed to trust a boy like that...?" He reasoned. 
"Why is she even allowed to date? She's too young!"
"I'm 34 minutes younger than you!" Brook snarked.
"That's 34 minutes too young!" Cory scoffed. 

"You could at least tell your favorite brother" Eric said with a raised brow
"I will when the time comes" She says with a smug look on her face. 

"Honey, can I pick your dre-"
"Mom, no! I already picked one and Topanga should be here in a while to do my hair and make up"

"Hair and make up" Cory mocked. "She's acting as if she's going on a movie set" He said, rolling his eyes.
"Dude, what's the matter with you? Can't you be happy for her? It's her first date!" Eric scoffed at Cory. 
"First date? Big deal!"
"It is a big deal. At least for me, Cory." Brooke was slightly disappointed. Cory just rolled his eyes and stormed off to his room. 

Brooke bit her lip before following him. 

"Why are you being like this?" Brooke asked sitting next to him on the bed. 

"Just don't get hurt" He said, abruptly, his manner indicating worry. 
"I've hurt Topanga many times. Intentionally and unintentionally. I can't see you hurt like she was. Relationships are amazing but-"
"Cor...I think you're overanalyzing stuff. It's just a date. No relationship."

"I know but, I never was mentally prepared for you to start dating. Neither was dad. Well this is a good sign for me to start preparing myself for Morgan too. You three, and mom are the last girls I want hurt" Brooke rubbed his shoulder. 
"Eww stop being sappy" She chuckled. 

"Good luck on your date, Brookie. I'm sure you'll look great in your outfit"

---

"Topanga, there's only 30 minutes left for 7:00!! Hurry up!" 
"Hold on! I'm just doing the lips! Oh by the way, you can kiss. It's matte and smudgeproof" Topanga winked. 
"Stop" Brooke said, flustered.

She looked at the mirror, satisfied with the look. She had light, basic make up on with a pretty shade of lipstick and two sparkly tops in her 3 ear piercings. 
Her mom's heart necklace partnered with the pinkish coral turtle-neck she wore, with light blue jeans below. 
"Thank you so much, Tops!" Brooke squealed. 
"You're welcome. Have fun...but not too much." She winked. 

Shawn impatiently waited, tapping his foot, and glancing at his watch. Brooke wasn't late. He was early. 
His gaze wandered off and landed on Brooke. She was slowly closing the distance to him. 

"Hey" A whisper left her lips. 
"Hi!" Shawn handed her a bouquet of pink daisies and Madonna Lillies. "You look...beautiful"
"Thanks" She giggled. 

Shawn leaned in to kiss her cheeks. 

"Oh I thought you were going in for the lips" She joked. 
"Disappointed? I could change that"
"No thanks, I don't really kiss on the first dates" Teasingly, she walked near the car door.
"Yeah? then you do it on the night before?" Brooke rolled her eyes at his comment as he opened the door for her. Brooke was amused seeing the gentleman in front of her. 

"So? Where'd you wanna go?" He asked, putting on his seatbelt.
"Nowhere fancy, really" 
"There's this amazing Italian Restaurant like 12 blocks away from Chubbies'. You wanna try that?" Brooke nods. "Sounds good"

They reached the restaurant and settled down, as Shawn pulled out the chair for Brooke. 

They reached the place as  twinkling fairy lights, a warm and inviting ambiance instantly embraced them. Soft, muted colors dominate the scene – earthy tones of warm terracotta and faded olive greens create a cozy backdrop. The walls are adorned with vintage Italian posters, showcasing scenes of old villages, sun-soaked vineyards, and bustling markets.

Their dinner arrived, and Brooke playfully tried to eat a particularly long spaghetti strand without making a mess. Shawn grinned, "you're gonna end up wearing your dinner instead of eating it."

Brooke stuck out her tongue in mock defiance. "Oh, please. I've mastered the art of spaghetti consumption!"

As the night grew darker, the restaurant's ambience seemed to shift to match their newfound ease. Brooke rested her chin on her hand, looking at Shawn.

"I'm glad your parents were out for the weekend" He grinned. 
"What? That was years back" She giggles.
"Yeah but if they hadn't, there would've been no party, no party, no kissing, no kissing, I still wouldn't have realized my feelings for you." 

Brooke's heart skips a beat. 
"Feelings?" She repeated under her breathe. 

"I had fun, Brooke." Shawn appreciated how goofy their night was. How laid back this place was. How loudly they laughed. 
There was no formal stiffness. Everything was cozy and laid back. Shawn loved how both of them could be themselves and actually enjoy a date. 

"I had a lot of fun today, Brookie" He took her hand in his palms and rubbed the back of it with his thumb. 
"Me too, Shawn" A pink hue painted across her cheeks, once again. 

"I was thinking... Do you wanna, maybe like... meet up for a second date...? You know, if you're not too busy conquering the world and all." Brooke squeezed in a quick chuckle. 
"I'll see if I can squeeze you in" 

After settling the bill, they walked out. 

"The car is parked a bit far away. Let's walk?" Brooke nodded. Without a warning, Shawn took her hand as the duo walked side by side, their steps in sync, and no obstacles in their way. 
Their easy camaraderie, genuine laughter, and the promise of another date made it clear that their friendship had evolved into something beautiful and exciting.

And as they both drifted off to sleep that night, they knew that this was just the beginning of something wonderful.

----------------------------------

Nothing better than a first date going well