62

"Why are you being like this?"

A few weeks had past and things were looking much better for Brooke and Shawn. It was rocky and awkward initially, but things were smoothening out for all of them. Topanga had forgiven Cory and Shawn had forgiven Brooke. Things couldn't have been better.

...That includes Claire too.

"Claire looks like she's happy in Vermont" Topanga flipped the picture in her hand and showed it to Cory and Shawn. "I mean, she's started a new school. She's making new friends. Her dad's in a therapy program, and she says maybe they'll see each other again someday." Shawn added reading the little text on the postcard.

"I hope everything works out for her." Cory replied. Shawn couldn't help but notice the minuscule frown capturing Brooke's face and how awfully quiet she had been.
"Babe? All good?" She slightly jumped, as Shawn broke her trance.
"Yeah" She blankly stared at him.

"Well, it was nice meeting you, we have dinner reservations today, you're watching Josh and Morgan" Brooke nodded as Cory and Topanga waved a bye.
Shawn sat on her bed next to her and snickered.
"No fights? Last time Cory said that, you made a reservation on the spot just so he would have to babysit. Well, I guess it is Cory's turn for the date since we went last time- Are you even listening or am I just yapping?" She quickly nodded her head a no.

"No, sorry. Um, I'm just-"
"Distracted" He completed the sentence for her. Placing an arm around her shoulder, he slightly pulled her closer, lowering his voice.
"What's going on?" She sighed looking away.

"I never got the chance to apologize to Claire. Like one day I was being mean to her, and the next, she was on a bus to Vermont. I don't remember what the last thing I said to her was. But I'm damn sure it wasn't sorry. I wanna send out a post card like she keeps sending us but it feels impersonal and forced." She admitted with a small pout.

"Okay look, you wanna apologize?" Brooke nodded. "Her aunt's number is at the back of one of these postcards. Just call her up and have a heart to heart" He shrugged, grabbing the slim pile off of Brooke's study that Topanga had left.

"I'll leave you to it" He left the room. Brooke stared at the card in front of her as she took a deep breathe. Her shaky hands reached for the telephone as she rotated every number with embarrassment, fear and worry.

She slightly jumped at the first ring. Her eyes were shut by the second one.

The third ring was cut off by a soft hello from the other end. The brunette swallowed a huge lump in her throat, softly letting her cords make a squeak.

"H-Hey" Brooke squeaked.
"Who is this-"

"It's me, Brooke" She replied, earning a few seconds of silence that felt like hours.
"Hi" Claire spoke. She heard shuffling at the other end. "Is...everything okay between you and Shawn- Oh god. You guys didn't...?"