59

"You're THE girl who set Shawn Hunter straight"

"Zack" The boy introduced. "The seat free?" Brooke looked at him with glassy eyes. Her tears got sucked in as she let out a chuckle.
"Where I'm from, we usually ask before sitting" She sarcastically said with droopy eyes.

"But yeah...it's free" She said weakly, her gaze averting to Shawn. She shook her head and looked back at him. "I'm-"

"Brooke" He finished her sentence. "How do you know my name?" She asked confused.
"Are you kidding? You're Brooke. Everyone knows you" He said as if stating the obvious.
"You're THE girl who set Shawn Hunter straight" He added, as a laugh slipped out of him. 

"You guys are making it sound like a streak" Brooke sighed. "In a way I guess it is. Bitch broke my streak" She said muttering under her breathe. 

"Also, isn't he your lab partner? For chemistry. And biology. And physics? Why was she alone?" His eyes sparkled with a hint of mischief, as he referred to her in 3rd person, as a lopsided grin spread across his face. He leaned casually against his chair, exuding an easygoing charm.

"Isn't Stephanie your lab partner? Why was he looking for a new seat?" She said with a small smile breaking through her lingering sadness.
"Touché" He scrunched his nose. 

"So where's your boy?"
"I don't know, he seems busy. Didn't wanna bother him" She shrugged. 

"He messed up and didn't make up to you so you're pissed at him and even if he wants to make it up to you now, you don't wanna let him. Because why didn't he do it earlier?" Zack casually listed, as the brunette's eyes widened in shock and confusion, her mouth slightly agape. "H-How did you...?"

"You're like an open book, Brooke Matthews. Its easier to understand you more than you think" 

"Is that a bad thing?" Brooke looks down, feeling predictable. 
"No," The other replied. "Not when it comes to you." He whispered. 

Casually retracting, he slid out of his seat. "Well, it's a free class. I'm going for a walk. See ya later?"
"I guess" She said, giving him a tight lipped smile, still a bit thrown off by the entire interaction. 
"Cool"

--

At lunch, Brooke walks up to her regular table and sees only Cory sitting there. 
"Where's Topanga?" She asks. 
"Oh she's volunteering for something. She has to miss lunch for it"

"Okay, well, assuming Shawn is gonna join you, I'm gonna go sit with Dana, okay?" Before, she could walk away, Shawn approached her. 
"Hey, we couldn't talk before-"

"You" Brooke cut him off. "You couldn't talk before. Apparently there's a lot more stuff going on that is so much more important than this" She swiftly swings her finger back and forth, pointing towards herself and Shawn. 
"I said 5 minutes and I came back in 5. Someone else was on my seat tho" He said eyeing her down.