5

"I have nothing to wear!!"

"I knew it! I looked...fat" Cory whined.
"Fat is least of your problems, babe" Shawn reminded.
"Brooke?" He looked at his twin, hopeful.
"Oh don't you dare put me on the spot!"

"Topanga?" He looked at his wife of 30 years.
"Maybe it's just not a good colour for you..."

"That doesn't matter. What matters is, presenting yourself. Now gimme a nice little walk Cor!" Brooke encouraged. Cory takes a deep breath then bounces forwards with his arms swinging rhythmically like he's dancing at a 50's sock hop; he does this up and down his room, then stands back in between the rest of the gang, looking at them hopefully. "Is that okay?"

"Not even on a desert Island. Cor, Girls, they tend to glide more...lemme show you"
"They're more at ease. You've got to let it flow." Shawn starts gliding across the room, as Topanga and Brooke looked at him shocked.
"That's the most accurate thing he's done all day!" Brooke exclaimed.
"Well, girls are my area. I like girls"

Shawn turns around and smiled, only to see the three of them smiling slyly at him.

"What?"
"Oh no..." He asks, terror filling his eyes.

--

A girl peeks tentatively from round a corner then steps out into the corridor. She was wearing a brown wig pulled back into a small ponytail, a tight black top, a red mini skirt, black tights, black knee-high boots and carefully applied make-up, Shawn makes his way nervously down the corridor to the stares of all the other students; Cory's walking with an arm around Shawn's shoulders looking very pleased with himself

"Why is everybody staring? What are they looking at?" Shawn asked, a bit conscious.

"Well, Shawn, I don't want you to take this the wrong way, but... you're kind of a babe." Cory grinned.
"Really?"
"Yeah! You want me to... carry your books for you?"
"I get that? Yeah!  Thanks!" He said, handing his books to Cory.

Shawn and Cory make their way to their lockers, where Brooke and Topanga are standing. 

"Why are you carrying his books?" Topanga asks, scrunching up her nose.
"Well we're trying to create the illusion that Shawn's a girl, so... I thought this would help."
"You never carry my books." Topanga points out jealous.
 "Well look at him!"

Cory gazes fondly at Shawn, looking him up and down, and blushes, then turns quickly back to Topanga when he realized.
"And look at you! You are just radiant today." Cory complimented.

"Sorry Topanga...it's just that, I'm so good at make up, that your boy was stolen" Brooke turned around, closing the locker, as she boasted about her make up skills.
"Why are you wearing a different skirt? Why is it shorter?" Cory asked, raising a brow.

"I dropped milk on mine so I had to borrow Cheryl's changeover."
"Please drop milk on it everyday" Shawn said, wide eyed.
"Shawn you can't flirt with me today! You're a girl! That makes you gay!" Brooke huffs.

"Not Shawn." Cory suddenly spoke up.
"Huh?"
"Not Shawn. We can name hi- her Janet." Cory suggested.
"No! Not Janet!" Shawn exclaimed.

"What difference does it make?" Cory asks.
"Uh. well-" Shawn stuttered.
"You've thought about this before, haven't you?" Brooke smirks, as Shawn shyly nods.
"A little" He pouts.
"What have you thought?" Topanga asks.
"Veronica" He muttered.

"I think it's a lovely name" Topanga kindly says.

Mr. Feeny enters the hallway and walks towards his classroom with barely a glance at the four.
"Good morning Miss Lawrence, Miss Matthews, Mr. Matthews, Mr. Hunter..."
Mr. Feeny pauses looking bemused, then turns slowly to look at Shawn and smiles benignly; Shawn looks like he's wishing for the ground to swallow him whole.

"Mr. Hunter, if there's anything you need to talk about, my door's always open. I'm not here to judge." Mr. Feeny says, concerned.
"It's for an article in the school newspaper" Shawn attempts to explain.
"I'm not here to judge" Mr. Feeny says and walks away.

"Cory, Girls...target approaching" Brooke says, glancing at the group of boys down the hallway.

"Hey Brooke" Gary comes and licks his lips.
"Hey Gary" Brooke passes a fake smile, as she sees Cory glare at the man. Gary notices Shawn.
"Hi there...um...I'm Gary." Cory grinned.

"Gary, this is...Sh-Veronica! Veronica...Wasboyski" Brooke awkwardly laughs.

"You know, I have never seen you before – are you new at school?" Gary asks, taking a step closer to Shawn.
"Yep! I'm... just a whole new person!" Shawn giggles, in a girlish voice. 
"Listen, um... if you want, y'know, I'd be happy to uh, y'know, take you to Chubbies and tell you what teachers to avoid – that kind of stuff. Unless your boyfriend already did that." He offered.

"Oh, No Gary! This one is definitely available" Topanga grins.

"Tops! I can speak for myself." 
"Did she just steal my nickname?" Brooke whispered to Topanga, whiny.
"Well then, you just do that! Veronica!" Cory exclaims.

"So, Saturday - is it good for both of you?" Topanga asks.
"Saturday is my date night" Shawn says through gritted teeth.
"It still is" Cory replies, in the same manner.

"Ok! Saturday." Shawn says through gritted teeth to his friends. "I'll give up a Saturday.""Well, I'll see you then." Gary smiled flirtatiously.
Gary walks away dreamily and Shawn gives him a feminine wave goodbye; Cory faces Shawn looking very proud.
"Shawnie! Way to go!" Cory high-fived his best friend.
"You got a date!" Brooke giggled.
Shawn looks suddenly worried and wrings his hands together anxiously.
"What?" Topanga asks, worried that there might be a change of plans.

"I have nothing to wear!!" 

--------------------------------------

No bigger crisis than the "nothing to wear"