60

"Hey honey

"Hey honey. How was Shawn's?"

"Hey honey. How was Shawn's?" Alan asked, scanning his newspaper. 
"What do you mean?"

"Well, it's a Friday evening, weren't you with Shawn?" She casually pops a handful of grapes in her mouth and replies with a stuffed face. "mhm, I wasn't with him. I was with Dana" She shrugged. "Breathe of fresh air, don't you think Amy darling?" Alan remarked, earning a glare from Brooke. 

"Jeez, harmless joke"

Cory walks in, seeing everyone at the table. 

"Cory, it's Friday night. Aren't you going out with Topanga?" Alan asked once again, earning an awkward laugh from Cory.
"All right, you know what this family hasn't done in a long time? Sing." He enthusiastically claimed. 

"How about Shawn?" Amy asked. 

"Come on, we'll do rounds." He placed both his palms on each of his parents' shoulder as he swayed them along. The adults, with unamused facial expressions complied to their son's wishes by not resisting. 

"Michael, row the boat ashore" He paused, pointing both his fingers at Amy. "Just the mommies," only to receive a "What happened between you and Shawn?" She asked. 

"Okay, just the, dateless, lonely, pathetic boys." 

Eric joins in, bopping his head to the tune of the music. 
"Michael row the boat ashore" Eric and Cory sing. 

"...And girls" With a shrug, Brooke starts singing. 

"Hallelujah. Sister..." All three...dateless, lonely, pathetic boys and girl sing. 

"Really got my mind off of things there" Brooke said with a chuckle, entering his room. 
"You better?" With a pout, she nodded a no. "I don't know. A bit hazy, honestly" She shrugged. 

She bit her lip, looked at Cory and back at the window. And then at Cory again, sighing as she spoke. 

"Cor, when I started dating Shawn, I had promised you that even if we don't work out as a couple, I will do my best to make sure nothing happens to your friendship. So, honestly if at all the reason you aren't with Shawn right now, is me, then please, don't worry about it. I don't want anything to go wrong between you to bec-"

"Hey, hey. Don't be silly. I messed up with Topanga and with Shawn. It has nothing to do with you. Don't beat yourself up about it." She smiled.
"But it's gonna feel wrong. He hurt you, Brooke. You trusted him- I trusted him. It's just- It's not something Shawn would do." He paused when he a saw an uneasy expression in the younger's eyes. "I-- shouldn't be talking about this" Cory awkwardly gulped. 

Cory sat down on the single bed next to her and wrapped his arm around her. 
"I can't help but think it's my fault too. What if we're jumping to conclusions-"

"Even if we are, Shawn owes you an explanation. I mean look at the text he sent you!" Brooke's eyes were back to the computer screen in Cory's room. She hadn't shut off the app. She didn't want to.