37

"You're selfish, that's what you are!"

Brooke inserted the keys, pushed the door and walked in. She saw Cory angrily pacing across the living room, mumbling something under his breathe. 

"Cory" Her shaky voice caught his attention as he stopped and shot daggers in her soul merely with his eyes. 
"Look, I know you're upset. But let's just talk about this...?" She said, biting her lips in hopes of fixing everything. 

"Talk? Brooke, how could you keep this from me? You're my sister, and you didn't even have the decency to tell me that you and Shawn were dating." He angrily slammed a cushion from the couch to the floor. 
"Can you stop?! We're not official or anything! We don't even have a label!"

"And that's supposed to magically make everything better?!" He groaned. "I can't believe you would do this--Dating Shawn, of all people? Have you even thought about how it affects me?"

Brooke stood her ground, her own anger evident. "You can't control who I date! Shawn and I have feelings for each other, and it's not your place to dictate our choices."

Cory's face turned red with rage. "It's not about dictating, Brooke. It's about common decency! You're my sister, and He is my best friend. The fact that you kept this from me is a betrayal."

"Betrayal? Oh please, Cor. Be f*cking for real. First of all, this is pure drama. It's called overreacting. I didn't owe you an explanation for MY feelings. This is my life! My freaking feelings!" Brooke's eyes flashed with defiance.

"And what about me? Did you even consider how this would affect our friend group dynamic? Did you think about the awkwardness, the tension?" 

Brooke's tone turned icy. "You're acting like you're the center of the universe. Just because you're uncomfortable doesn't mean I can give up things I like!"
Cory's hands clenched into fists, his voice dripping with sarcasm. "Oh, pardon me for not celebrating your newfound 'happiness.' I didn't realize it was more important than our relationships."

"Why are you so dramatic about everything?!" Brooke grabs her hair, grunting. 
"Dramatic? I'm not dramatic. I'm just logical." He was about to storm off, only for his arm to be grabbed by the younger.

"I'll tell you what you are. You're selfish. That's what you are!" She said, gritting her teeth and forcing every word like she meant it. "We didn't do this to hurt you, but you're making it all about you. Again! You're the only person you think about, Cory!" 

"What on Earth is going on here?!" Amy walked down the stairs with a night gown. 
"We heard yelling..." Alan followed behind. Brooke acknowledged her parents' presence by sparing them a glance for a split second before turning back to Cory. 

"I'm sorry I'm not the perfect sister. Heck, I'm not even sure I'm a good one. But I try to be, Cor. I've supported you through ton of crap-" Cory cuts her off. 
"Well, if you were so supportive, you would've considered my feelings" Cory said looking at Brooke as if she'd committed a crime.