29

"It definitely meant something

"It definitely meant something..."

Brooke took a deep breathe in, as she watched Eric wave a goodbye to the twins. Today was the first time since she would see Shawn after the...closet incident. 

Her legs felt like Jelly and her arms felt like they were gonna fall off. Even remembering the kiss was enough to make her ears change color.

"Do you have a fever or something?" Brooke snapped out of the thoughts as Cory spoke.
"NO! WE JUST TALKED!" Brooke shrieked, making Cory flinch.

"Are you possessed?!" He gave her a weird look.
"N-No, I'm fine" Brooke sighed.

"Let's go" Cory mumbled, rolling his eyes as he pushed the doors open and walked in.

"Shawnyy!!" Cory yelled as soon as he walked in. Brooke froze, twisting her heels to walk away.

And she successfully did, before Shawn had the time to turn around.

The new day at school, things were undeniably strange. Shawn and Brooke, who usually greeted each other with a high-five and an inside joke, now exchanged awkward nods and half-hearted smiles. They went out of their way to avoid each other in the hallways. If Brooke walked by, Shawn would suddenly start looking for messages on his pager. If Shawn walked by, Brooke would suddenly become interested in the contents of her locker. 

During lunch,  Cory and Topanga exchanged knowing glances as they watched the duo avoid each other like the plague.

"What's the deal with Shawn and Brooke?" Cory whispered to girl.
"I have no idea," Topanga replied, just hoping that this wasn't her fault.

 "They've been acting so weird since the party." The blonde's eyes slightly widened when she realized that her boyfriend was slowly catching up.
"No, it was definitely before the party" She awkwardly giggled. 

Meanwhile, Shawn and Brooke found themselves in the same dilemma – stuck in a cycle of avoiding each other, yet secretly wanting to talk things out. The tension was palpable, and both of them felt the strain of their fractured friendship.

A few days like this passed, and Shawn was starting to get frustrated of the distance. He wanted to make things right again. Vibe to Backstreet Boys' "I want it that way" and yell the lyrics to "As long as you love me", he wanted to ride bikes with her around the neighborhood and trade Pokémon cards. 

He gaslighted himself into thinking that he's doing this for the charizard card. But gathering courage, maybe or maybe not for the charizard card, he walked up to Brooke who was busy with her locker.

"Hey..." He whispered, as Brooke's eyes widened. She smashed the locker shut and froze. Her heartbeat increased. She looked at him with slightly widened eyes.
"H-Hi!" She said trying her best to smile. 

Shawn let out an exasperated sigh. "Brooke...about the party..." His voice trailed off at the end. 
"Shawn, can we...talk later? I've gotta-"
"Don't. You think I don't know you better than yourself? Your schedule is free for the next 15 minutes." He sighed.

"Fine..." She gulped.

"Thank you. The awkwardness and avoiding you was killing me" He chuckled under his breathe. "Brooke, listen. I'm not good at this stuff. but we can't keep avoiding each other like this." The brunette shuffled in her place, knowing he was damn right. 
"I know. I just- It's just that- things got very weird after the. uhh." Brooke stuttered, struggling to find the right words. 

"Kiss. You can say it" He pressed his lips into a thin line. 

"Exactly. It got weird after the...what you said" Brooke scratched the back of her neck. Shawn rolled his eyes, chuckling.

"Yeah, but it's not like we can just erase it from existence, right?"  Why was he being so logical now?
"You're right. I'd very much like to fix things too" She pressed her lips into a thin line.
"Good, I wasn't letting you go like that. Let's take everything back to how it was. I wanna high five you every morning instead running in the opposite direction. And my pager only beeps cause of Cory's message. So pretending that I'm popular as shit, is over" He put on his famous smug smile.

"I'm glad we could talk this out Shawn"
"I'm very happy too, Brookie" He grinned. "So we good?" 
"Yeah. We're good..."

They sat in a companionable silence, the tension gradually dissipating. It was as if acknowledging the elephant in the room had lifted a weight off their shoulders.

"Thank god, cause for a second I thought we were gonna loose a very special friendship because of a mistake-" 
"What?" Brooke's smile faded. "A mistake?" She scoffed, looking offended.
"No! I meant. You're a good kisser and all but y'know, it was in the moment. It didn't mean anything..." Brooke let out a gasp that screamed sarcasm.
"Didn't mean anything?" Her eyebrows raised and mouth slightly opened.

"Are you really telling me that? don't say that. It definitely meant something. Shawn...it was my first kiss..." Her slightly angry voice faded into something more hurt.
"I'm sorry, Brooke, we're best friends. Anything more could ruin us!"

"Yeah? You should've seen yourself that day. Best friends don't kiss like that, Shawn" She glared. "Why would you ever kiss me if you only had to confuse me even more?!" Brooke groaned, attempting to walk away. 

"You seriously can't be mad at me like this. What do you want me to do then, date you?!" Shawn rubbed his brow, frustration lingering in his tone and body language.
"I-I-" She got speechless. She honestly had no idea what she wanted from him. Just because she liked him doesn't mean he liked her back. But she was too hurt to use logic in a situation as such.

After developing a crush on him, she's witnessed him making out with random girls, get into a serious relationship and lying to her to go on a double date with his girl. Each incident was more painful than the other. After all that crap, she got one kiss which meant the whole world to her, but was labeled as a 'mistake' or 'it didn't mean anything.'

Shawn was proving Cory's words right. 

"Things that mean the whole world to her wouldn't mean anything to Shawn"

"You know what. You're right. Nothing can be done about this" She pursed her lips, before twisting on her heel and storming off. 

"Brooke, man!" Shawn groaned, kicking a nearby trashcan, letting out his frustration.

"Idiot! You're an idiot! Idiot! Idiot! Idiot!" Shawn whispered to himself, almost cursing himself for the issues between him and Brooke. 

Maybe he shouldn't have kissed her. It was all his fault.

-----------------------------------

AWKWARD-

Sorry about this being so short 😭