Chapter 13: The Benders

The gang was dressed up as sheriffs to question a boy and his mother, about a man who went missing in the parking lot of their building. "I know you're just doing your job, but the police have been here all week already. I don't see why we have to go through this again. The more he tells the story, the more he believes it's true." Mrs. McKay explained.

"Mrs. McKay, we know you spoke with the local authorities." (RJ’s y/n) said as they took off their hats. "But, uh, this seems like a matter for the state police, so...." Dean said, shrugging. "Don't worry about how crazy it sounds, Evan. You just tell us what you saw." (Slinky’s y/n) said to the young boy.

"I was up late, watching TV. When I heard this weird noise." Evan replied. "What did it sound like?" Sam asked. "It sounded like....a monster." Evan replied and the gang exchange a look. "Tell the officers what you were watching on TV." Mrs. McKay said to her son.

"Godzilla Vs. Mothra." Evan said, making Dean smile. "That's my favorite Godzilla movie. It's so much better than the original, huh?" He said, excitedly. "Totally." Evan replied, smiling. 

"Yeah." Dean said, then nods towards Sam. "He likes the remake." He said and Evan drop his smile. "Yuck!" He said, disgusted, while (RJ’s y/n) shakes her head and Sam glares at Dean and clears his throat at him. (Slinky’s y/n) snickers, trying to hold in a laugh. 

"Evan, did you see what this thing was?" (RJ’s y/n) asked the boy. "No. But I saw it grab Mr. Jenkins. It pulled him underneath the car." Evan replied. "Then what?" Sam asked him.

"It took him away. I heard the monster leaving. It made this really scary sound." Evan said. "What did it sound like, Evan?" (Slinky’s y/n) asked. "Like this...whining growl." He replied and the gang exchange another look. "Thanks for your time." Sam said to the mother and son.

That night at the Kugel's Keg, Sam and the girls were having a beer at a table, looking at their research while Dean was throwing darts nearby. (Slinky’s y/n)’s face scrunches up as she shifts through her notes. “What’s wrong?” Sam asked her.

“Something missing.” (Slinky’s y/n) muttered as she begins lifting stuff up. “What?” (RJ’s y/n) asked. “I had a list of the people who were reported missing over the past few months.” (Slinky’s y/n) replied, continuing her search but coming up empty-handed.

“Maybe I left in the Impala.” She muttered and turned in her seat to get up. “I’ll be right back.” She said, trotting off. (RJ’s y/n) smiles and shakes her head. “That girl would lose her head if it wasn’t attached to her shoulders.” She joked and the boys laugh.

"So, local police have now ruled out foul play. Apparently, there are worse signs of a struggle." Sam said. "Well, they could be right, it could just be a kidnapping. Maybe this isn't our kind of gig." Dean said, throwing another dart at the board. "Yeah, maybe not. Except for this...Dad marked the area, Dean." Sam said and Dean comes to the table to look at the journal. "Possible hunting grounds of a phantom attacker." Sam said.

"Why would he even do that?" Dean asked. "Well, he found a lot of local folklore about a dark figure that comes out at night. Grabs people, then vanishes." Sam said. "He found this too...this county has more missing persons per capita than anywhere else in the state." (RJ’s y/n) explained.

"That is weird." Dean muttered. "Yeah." Sam and (RJ’s y/n) said. "Don't phantom attackers usually snatch people from their beds? Jenkins was taken from a parking lot." Dean said. "Well, there are all kinds. You know, Spring Heeled Jacks, phantom gassers. They take people anywhere, anytime. Look, guys, I don't know if this is our kind of gig either." Sam said.

"Yeah, you're right, we should ask around more tomorrow." (RJ’s y/n) said and Sam nods. "Right." He said as he takes out his wallet. "I saw a motel about five miles back." He said and Dean holds a hand out. "Whoa, whoa, easy. Let's have another round." Dean said to Sam.