Chapter 41: Red Sky At Morning

Sam and Dean were impersonating detectives to interview Gertrude Case, an elegant and well-groomed and approximately 70 year old woman. She was holding a framed photograph of the shower-drowning victim.

"But I don't understand. I already went over all this with the other detectives." Gert said. "Right, yes. But, see, we're with the Sheriff's Department, not the police department... different departments." Dean said.

"So, Mrs. Case..." Sam started to say. "Please." Gert said, looking at him intently. "Ms. Case." She corrected, smiling and eyeing him up and down. "Okay. Um, Ms. Case, um...you were the one who found your niece, correct?" Sam asked.

"I came home, she was in the shower." Gert replied. "Drowned?" Sam asked. "So the coroner says. Now, you tell me, how can someone drown in the shower?" Gert asked.

"How would you describe Sheila's behavior in the days before her death? I mean, did she seem frightened? Maybe she said something out of the ordinary, or...?" Sam asked. "Wait a minute. You're working with Alex, aren't you?" Gert suddenly asked and the boys glance to each other.

"Yep. Absolutely. That's Alex and us, we're like this." Dean said, crossing his fingers and laughing. "Why didn't you say so? Alex has been such a comfort. But I'm sorry. I thought the case was solved." Gert said, confused.

"Uh... Well, no. No, not yet." Sam stammered. "I see." She said, shamelessly giving him a flirty look. "So, anyways, we were talking about your niece." Sam said, becoming uncomfortable. "Well, yes. Sheila mentioned something quite strange before she died. She said she saw a boat." Gert said and the boys looked at her confused.

"A boat?" Dean asked. "Yes. One minute it was there, then it was gone. It just disappeared right before her eyes. You think it could be a...ghost ship? Alex thinks it could be a ghost ship." Gert said, addressing all her comments to Sam, staring at him intently.

"Well, um...Could be." Sam said, thrown off by her intense look. "Well. You let me know if there's anything else I can do for you." Gert said and she traces a finger slowly along Sam's hand. Sam looks uncomfortable and Dean clears his throat, smirking broadly. "Anything at all." Gert whispered.

"What a crazy old broad." Dean remarked as they walk along the docks. "Why? Because she believes in ghosts?" Sam asked and Dean laughs. "Look at you, sticking up for your girlfriend. You cougar hound." He teased. "Bite me." Sam said. "Hey, not if she bites you first." Dean retorted.

"So, who's this Alex? We got another player in town?" Dean asked. "Maybe, maybe not. Doesn't change our job." Sam replied. "And what looked like a ghost ship, right?" Dean asked. "Yeah. It's not the first one sighted around here, either." Sam said. "Really?" Dean asked.

"Yeah. Every 37 years, like clockwork, reports of a vanishing three-mast clipper ship out in the bay. And every 37 years, a rash of weirdo, dry-land drownings." Sam explains. "So, whatever's happening is just getting started." Dean said. "Yeah." Sam replied.

"What's the lore?" Dean asked. "Well, there are apparitions of old wrecks sighted all over the world. The S.S. Violet, the Griffin, the Flying Dutchman... almost all of them are death omens." Sam explains.

"So, what happens? You see the ship and then a few hours later, you pucker up and kiss your ass goodbye?" Dean asked. "Basically." Sam replied. "What's the next step?" Dean asked. "I gotta I.D. the boat." Sam said.

"That shouldn't be too hard. I mean, how many three-mast clipper ships have wrecked off the coast?" Dean asked and Sam scoffs. "I checked that too, actually. Over one hundred and fifty." He replied. "Wow." Dean mutter, shocked. "Yeah." Sam said. "Crap." Dean grumbled. "Mm-hmm." Sam hummed, nodding.