Chapter 22: Provenance

In a random bar, Sam was sitting at a table strewn with papers. He was trying to read them but he kept looking up annoyed at Dean and (RJ’s y/n) sitting across from him.

“So does a young handsome guy like you, come here often?” (RJ’s y/n) asked. “Not usually, but I'm glad I did tonight. The scenery’s pretty nice.” Dean said, looking over towards the bar where two pretty women were drinking. 

(RJ’s y/n) gives him a warning look just as Dean turns his head back to her. “Though the view in front of me is even better.” Dean said. “Uh-huh.” (RJ’s y/n) said unimpressed and thinking, nice save in her head.

“That’s supposed to melt a girl’s heart?” (RJ’s y/n) asked. “No, but this is…” Dean said and he leans in close, and begins talking in a husky voice. “I’m Dean Winchester, driver of the beautiful 67 Impala you saw out front and get this…I kill monsters on the side.” 

Sam shakes his head at the two. “And you are?” Dean asked. “(RJ’s y/n) (l/n).” (RJ’s y/n) replied. “Oh, that (RJ’s y/n)? I might have heard a few rumors about you.” Dean said. “If they’re bad, they’re right.” (RJ’s y/n) said, making Dean’s heart skip a beat as he smiles. “Well, I’m looking forward to finding out more.” He said.

“I don’t mind giving a preview.” (RJ’s y/n) said in a sultry voice. “Oh yeah?” Dean asked, leaning in. “What kind of preview?” He asked and Sam looks beyond annoyed, glancing at the empty seat next to him, wishing he wasn’t dealing with this alone. “Wouldn’t you like to know.” (RJ’s y/n) replied, leaning in as well.

As the distance between their faces gets much more narrower, someone clears their throat and the two broke away from each other, looking across the table at Sam, frowning at them. “Will you two just get a room, already?” He asked.

“It’s call baby steps, Sammy.” Dean said. “There’s baby steps and then there’s just stalling.” Sam said, annoyed. “If we’re bothering you, we can move somewhere else.” (RJ’s y/n) suggested. “I thought we were supposed to go over these together.” Sam said, gesturing to the papers on the table.

“Oh right.” (RJ’s y/n) said, looking at the papers like she just realized they were there. “Sorry, Sammy. I guess we got a little distracted.” Dean said, grinning, as he looks at (RJ’s y/n), who smiles back at him. “Yeah. I can see that.” Sam grumbled, frowning at the two.

"What you got?" Dean asked, looking at the scattered paper on the table. "Mark and Ann Telesca of New Paltz, New York were both found dead in their own home, a few days ago. Throats were slit. There were no prints, no murder weapons, all..." Sam explained but Dean was distracted, continuing to whisper in (RJ’s y/n)’s ear and making her smile and giggle.

"Guys!" Sam said, getting them to takes their attention off each other and back onto him. "No prints, no murder weapons, all doors and window locked from the inside." Sam said. "Could just be a garden variety murder you know, not our department." Dean said

"No. Dad says different." Sam said. "What do you mean?" (RJ’s y/n) asked and Sam turns the journal around, pointing at it and a map. "Dad noted three murders in the same area of upstate New York. First one here in 1912, second one right here in 1945, and the third in 1970, the same M.O. as the Telescas. Their throats were slit, doors were locked from the inside. Now so much time had passed between murders that nobody checked the pattern, except Dad. He kept his eyes peeled for another one." He explained.

"And now we got one.” (RJ’s y/n) said. “All right, I'm with ya. It's worth checking out. We can't pick this up till first thing though right?" Dean asked. "Yeah." Sam replied. "Good." Dean said, turning back to (RJ’s y/n) and throwing his arm on the back of her chair.