Chapter 16: Route 666

Sam and the girls were looking at a map laid out on top of the car while Dean was listening to a message on his phone. "Okay. I think I found a way we can bypass that construction just east of here. We might even make Pennsylvania faster than we thought." Sam said.

Dean lowers his phone, looking thoughtful. "Yeah. Problem is, we're not going to Pennsylvania." He said. "We're what?" (Slinky’s y/n) asked, confused. "I just got a call from an, uh, old friend. Her father was killed last night, think it might be our kind of thing." Dean replied, walking around the Impala to the driver's side. "What?" (RJ’s y/n) asked, confused.

"Yeah. Believe me, she never woulda called, never, if she didn't need us." Dean said, getting into the car, but Sam and the girls don’t move. "Come on, are you guys coming or not?" Dean asked. Sam and the girls exchanged a look before (RJ’s y/n) shrugged and they got in the car.

The Impala cruised down the road, fields on one side, a lake on the other. "By old friend you mean...?" Sam started to ask but Dean talks over him. "A friend that's not new." He said. "Oh yeah, thanks." Sam said, sarcastically.

"So her name's Cassie huh? You never mentioned her." (RJ’s y/n) said to Dean, suspicious, and (Slinky’s y/n) glances over at her. "Didn't I?" Dean asked and everyone looked at him, expectantly. "Yeah, we went out." Dean admitted and (RJ’s y/n) swallowed this sudden large lump that came up in her throat. (Slinky’s y/n) looks over at her friend again, understanding the pain she’s feeling all too well.

"You mean you dated somebody? For more than one night." (RJ’s y/n) said to Dean. "Am I speaking a language you're not getting here?” Dean asked, annoyed, and (RJ’s y/n) raised her hands up. “Just asking. Geez.” (RJ’s y/n) said and Dean sighs.

“Dad and I were working a job in Ohio, she was finishing up college. We went out for a coupla weeks." Dean explained. "And...?" Sam and the girls asked, in unison, and Dean shrugs slightly. "Look, it's terrible about her dad, but it kinda sounds like a standard car accident. I'm not seeing how it fits with what we do." Sam said. 

"Which by the way, how does she know what we do?" (RJ’s y/n) asked Dean and he looks at the rearview mirror at her, shifty, and her jaw drops as she realized what he was hinting.

"You told her." She said, shocked, and Sam looks at him just as shock but also angry. "You told her, the secret! Our big family rule number one. We do what we do and we shut up about it. For a year and a half I do nothing but lie to Jessica, and you go out with this chick in Ohio a coupla times and you tell her everything?" He asked, angrily.

Dean stays silent, staring straight ahead at the road. "Dean!" (RJ’s y/n) shouted. "Yeah. Looks like." Dean said and he continues to stare ahead while Sam and (RJ’s y/n) exchange a you gotta be kidding me? look. (Slinky’s y/n) shifts in her seat, feeling very uncomfortable with the tension in the car now.

They arrived at Cape Girardeau, Missouri and enter a newspaper office. "Jimmy, you're too close to this. Those guys were friends of yours. Again, Cassie, I'm very sorry for your loss." The mayor said to Cassie and Jimmy and he walks away.

Cassie sighs, turning around and her eyes immediately locked on to Dean. Looking slightly apprehensive, Dean nods at her and grins. "Dean." She said, softly. "Hey Cassie." Dean said.

Cassie walks over to them, not taking her eyes off Dean. They stare at each other for a long moment, not speaking. (RJ’s y/n) looks at her with the intensity of the sun, feeling something boiling inside of her, like lava. (Slinky’s y/n) could practically feel the heat radiating off of her and subtly glances to her friend.

Dean clears his throat and gestures to the others. "This my brother, Sam." He said, introducing Sam first. Cassie smiles at Sam, who returns one of his own.