Policeman

Lucy POV
1697 words

After our kiss in Hyde Park, i couldn't face Lockwood. He was my landlord, partner and boss.. and secret crush, what a confusing job title! conflicted, cold and alone i slumped in my bed up in the attic.
"What's all this moping for?!" the skull demanded, "It's an awful sight to come back to! Well? get it over with! But don't tell me its about Lover Boy or i swear.." I knew the skull wasn't much to confide in, its more like talking to a rotting banana peel. Hardly any good conversation, and it just stares back at you with scowling expressions. But it had to feel good to talk about it right? So i sat up, hugged onto my pillow and looked over at the skull on the window sill.
"Lockwood and i kissed.." And just like that it gave me a blank expression that turned to a slight scowl.
"Well? congratulations now you have a boyfriend, good job, want a medal or something? So has half the bloody population! Get a grip, woman!"

"No but i don't want a boyfriend! I've never had a boyfriend! I've never even really kissed a boy! And i don't like Lockwood.."
"First stage is denial." The skull said in a sing-song voice.
"Ugh! You're no help! I don't know why i ever even talk to you!" I threw my tear stained pillow at the jar and rolled on my side to look away from it.
"Well so what? you're going to mope all day? then leave him? Really?"
"What else am i supposed to do? i have to leave him- them- the company!" Fresh tears sprang to my eyes.
"Well if you want my opinion, Lockwood is a no-do-gooder. He's a charlatan, and an ambitious one at that. Honestly Lucy, what i think, the quicker we get outa here the better."

Tears rolled down my pale cheeks and fell onto the other pillow.
"Why does it hurt so much?" I sniffled, "It shouldn't hurt so much," I paused hesitated slightly, and coughed, "..skull.. did you ever feel like this?" For a long while the skull didn't respond, i thought it had disappeared but then i heard it's whispering voice re-appear in my head,
"Lucy you need to get yourself together, our marvellous plan will go so well you will be Lockwood's  landlord instead! He will come to you begging for work! So you need to get off your backside, wipe your gross water eyeballs and get to work, with me of course, by your side." for once the old mouldy skull made a good point. A wave of bravery washed over me, I wiped my eyes and got up, it hurt as i was still kind of wet from the rain, even though i changed clothes. I decided to have a shower then go downstairs and make tea.

on the way down to the kitchen, i tried as hard as i could to be quiet, the rest of the night had been a disaster, eating dinner in separate rooms. Holly asked me and Lockwood how our walk went, absentminded nods and hums came from me. Lockwood had caught my eye, then immediately looked away as if i might curse him just by making eye contact. Not the greatest compliment he has given me. So i didn't want to disturb him if he had gone to sleep, and i didn't want him showing up to talk to me if he was still awake. I craved soldiers so i went into the kitchen and boiled the kettle, took out an eggcup from the cupboard. But my hopes had not been heard, as instead i heard the kitchen door open, and Lockwood shuffled in.

"Lucy.. look, this job gets out of hand, we all know it does. I've gotten a concussion, you've sliced your arm, George had cracked his glasses. Not to mention we have technically killed one of the most famous business men to get rich off the Problem, and have burned down an old ladies house, multiple times. But that is what our job is, dangerous, its nothing new. But.." He walked over to me and stood next to me at the counter, i felt his shoulder touch mine for a brief moment. But i stayed staring at the eggcup, sliding over the other one in my hand. Slowly i turned to face him, held out the two eggcups. I watched him swallow, his Adam's Apple bobbed up and down, his pale face ever so slightly flushed, the light brown spots in his eyes flowed, he was nervous if anything. But he was really trying to keep eye contact with me, there was something there within him, something i couldn't read, something he kept hidden.