Five Days

Description: Lockwood and Co have to stay at the inn for another five days under Rotwell and DEPRAC surveillance, Lockwood hasn't spoken to Lucy..

Lucy POV
1494 words

Barnes showed up at the inn door, along with multiple reporters behind him.
"Good morning Inspector, what can Lockwood and Co do for you?" Lockwood grinned at the inspector's depressed expression.
"Get me a coffee, and stay out of the way. The press want quotes. I'm sure you're beaming to get your thick skull back in the Time's news photos, but we need to talk first." He pressed a bit of paper to Lockwoods chest and walked into the hallway.

I stared at the paper. "Ah so, in classic DEPRAC fashion, we can't say a word?"
"Precisely." Barnes' grey moustache folded around the mug of coffee.
"And we are uh, under surveillance? Whatever.. that means?"
George pushed glasses up his the bridge of his nose. "It means Rotwell's fantastic company, believe we've done something. Like set his institute alight. Of course, as Rotwell himself," George crossed his heart, "was one of the last people to talk to us before he died."
"George you're not religious," Lockwood took the paper out of my hands and leaned back against the bar counter, "So how long do we have to stay in this.. place?"

"Oh it's not all bad, we get free food now! And Danny Skinner is like our little servant!" George grinned and Holly slapped him over the head with a newspaper.
"What I think Lockwood means is, Inspector, we miss Portland Row, and desperately want to get out of the country side." She prettily smiled at the inspector.
"Don't we all?" Kipps muttered. "The country side part, I mean."
"Just till the end of this week." Barnes rose from his bar stool, "And, nothing happened at the institute." He looked around at all of us, making sure we understood. Put his hat back on, wiped his grey moustache and walked out.

We all turned to each other. George let out a groan and walked away. Holly started dusting the bar stools. Kipps unfolded the newspaper and stuck his head in it. I looked at Lockwood awkwardly. We hadn't spoken since the portal. Or the Other Side, or whatever you want to call it.
"I get it's gonna be boring but-" He started.
"Boring? Tony, boring does NOT begin to cut it. Have you seen this place?" Kipps snapped. "I do not want to have to spend another night in that stinking cupboard!" We looked around in the kitchen. It smelt of stale beer and cheese and onion crisps, Danny Skinners granddad was snoring in the lounge, the wallpaper peeled. I looked to the closet Kipps was referring to. He had been sleeping in there because 'waking up next to Cubbins' and been too much for him.

"Yeah it isn't exactly the Ritz. But we have to make the most of it," Lockwood grinned a mischievous grin. "Plus.." He walked over to the curtains and drew them apart.

Reporters from all different stations in London and probably whatever news radio Albury Castle had, were stood outside.
"Lockwood didn't Barnes just say 'nothing happened at the institute'?" Holly smiled.
"Exactly so I won't tell them about the institute." In three quick strides he was out the kitchen and walking to the front door. I turned my attention onto the depressing half eaten cheese and onion crisp packet on the bar table. But Holly grabbed me by the scruff of my jumper and pulled me out of the room.

"All right then." I heard Kipps grumble from behind his newspaper.

"Holly what- What??" I gaped.
"What happened with you and Lockwood?!" She squealed.
"Nothing- uh.. Nothing happened." I could feel my cheeks burning.
"Oh don't play dumb, Lucy. You two are being so awkward." She said bluntly.
"What?? Aren't we always a little awkward?" I frowned.
"No you don't understand! It's different."
"How can-"
"No No she is right, it's different." George said through chews of the stale crisps.