utter imbecile

Lockwood POV
1295 words

🎵My feathers seem to have taken the brunt of the storm they are feeling pretty worn
Finally found shelter tucked away inside a wall
Though for now it's pretty small🎵

🎵You and me We can make this hole a home
We can fill it up with grass and all the things that make it warm🎵
Things that make it warm by Cavetown

Watching Guppy fade away was the best feeling and the worst feeling. I stood there at the end of the hallway, close to the basement door. I had knotted him to the wall, with rapier slashes and a flare. Accident, magnesium flare wasn't particularly a good idea, it practically blinded me from it's sudden light, making me stumble and hit my shoulder against the banister. Surprisingly, Guppy was a hard guy to beat. I knew he would be repulsive but i didn't think he would be difficult. But his width was an adjustment. So much so, most of my slashes ended up missing or not hitting well enough, causing me to get my rapier caught in the wall once. As i pulled it free, i ended up slashing my hand. Blood bloomed from my palm. I ignored the fire of pain erupting up my hand and my arm, and wiped my hand across my cheek to get rid of the running blood. Guppy attacked, and thats when i threw the flare.

It felt so good to watch him dissolve into dust. Hearing George whoop from the kitchen. But it also gave me that oh so familiar sinking feeling. The feeling of my energy dissolve along with the ghost. My body slowed, it felt like i was wading through syrup as i moved towards the kitchen door. The aching in my bones came back, my arms swelled from smashing up all those wooden panels, where i had caught my shoulder on the banister it had started growing into a bruise. My right hand was bleeding profusely, i had tried to wipe it on my trouser leg to attempt to get rid of the bleeding but failed. My hand halted in front of the handle as the door swung open and Lucy stood there.

I'll admit, when i fight solo the whole team is on my mind, of course they are. But at those last moments, when i had gripped Lucy's shoulder, forced her to look at me. Felt the coldness of her body under my fingers, that was all i could think about when i fought Guppy. So seeing her stood upright, no glassy eyes, instead anger, worry and determination filled them. It felt good seeing her there in front of me, alive, holding her rapier, the one i had given her last summer. I leaned against the wall and grinned at her.

"You, utter imbecile!!" She cried, hitting my arm.
"Ow!" I laughed.
"I can't believe you would go on your own like that! And now look at you! Ugh!!!" She hit my arm again.
"Ow!" I repeated, Kipps took her shoulder and pulled her away.
"Okay maybe thats enough hitting Tony for today. Anyone got a first-aid kit?"

I sat on the stone steps outside the house once again. My legs outstretched in front of me, my head leaning against the cool bricks. Light was coming in, the sun was rising, a new day was starting. And we were just packing away. The door opened and Lucy walked out.
"Thought you would hide out here. Come on, let's get it over with." She smiled and plopped down next to me on the steps. Set down the first-aid kit.
"Take this tatty jacket off for once."
"What you haven't missed the jacket??" I joked, her hands gripped the sides of my coat.
"No, look at all the ectoplasm stains! You still haven't washed any of the grave mud off either." She pulled the coat off me.

"How come Holly hasn't come over here to do it herself? Do you even know how to do first-aid?" I tilted my head.
"If you don't shut up i will cover your mouth with a bandage and call it first-aid, how about that?" She smiled pristinely.
I shut my mouth after that, and watched her pull my shirt sleeves up to my shoulder where the bruise was growing. She took out some tube from the box, squeezed out some paste from the tube and rubbed it into the bruise, it was cold and tingled.

Or maybe that was just her touch on my skin.

It had been so long i had forgotten how soft her fingers were, but always cold. Her face moved into focused mode, her tongue ever so slightly stuck out the corner of her mouth. Her brows furrowed and strands of hair fell in front of her face. Her small shoulders hunched.
"How'd you give yourself that then?" She asked, pulling away and getting out a strip of bandages for my hand.

"Fell into the banister." I blushed, it wasn't a cool leader thing to say. But i guess i wasn't her cool leader anymore either.

"...You need to be more careful, Lockwood. I'm serious, we were supposed to be a team back there, and you just went on your own." Her brows furrowed again, taking my right hand in hers, turning it over.
The cut from my rapier was worse than i thought. The paler skin on the underside of my hand basically highlighted the irritated red slash drawn across it. I looked away, over at the other houses in the Cul-De-Sac, whilst Lucy did her whole first aid thing.

"Yeah, you need to be more careful too, you know, Luce? You got ghost-locked. If i hadn't snapped you out of it you would have been dead." Her face hardened.
"I know, but it was a strong ghost, Lockwood. Most people would have been ghost-locked."

"Yeah but George, Holly, Quill, and me, didn't." I pointed out. "But." I added stopping her from getting more mad, "It's okay, ghost-lock usually can't be helped. And you were right he was a tough ghost. I just don't want anything to happen to you." I looked at her now, her hair glistened in the dawn sun. I took a strand that had fallen in her face and tucked it behind her ear. I could have sworn she blushed. Then i felt a sudden tighten around the cut on my palm, that made me wince.

"Sorry." She spoke with almost forced confidence, "Well, nice chat." She put the first-aid stuff back in the box, and stood up. "You know, Lockwood, thanks. For snapping me back to reality back there. I'm sorry.. for making you have to worry about me. But i'm gonna be out of your hair now. And we wont have to worry about ghost hunting, or cases together, or getting ghost-locked, ever again." She smiled, but there was sadness in it. She looked down at me, i stared up at her through the strands of hair in my face. Suddenly she moved, quick, flicked back to life. Her face blushed.
"I think i'm gonna call a taxi now." She said, stared off into the rising sun.

"Of course," I stood my knees clicked, I was standing right in front of her, strands of my hair reached down and brushed hers, as she looked up to meet my eyes. "And i uh," Suddenly i noticed she was wearing the ring i had given her, my sister's ring. "The ring suits you." I almost whispered, then walked off into the house, as the winter sun rose behind me

this is how i felt Lucy's mood was when dressing Lockwood's wounds, and telling him to be careful