William

Lucy POV
1481 Words

🎵The rain falls hard on a humdrum town
This town has dragged you down🎵

🎵And everybody's got to live their life
And god know's I've got to live mine
God knows I've got to live mine🎵

🎵William, William it was really nothing
William, William it was really nothing
It was your life🎵

-William, It Was Really Nothing by The Smiths

I stood in the lounge, the cold glow from William's ghost bit at my skin. I sighed, I was alone or as alone as I could be. I tuned in to the static noise of the ghost's past.
"Hello, I'm Lucy, are you William?"
He didn't say anything for a moment, he stood there, swaying slightly. He stared at me thoughtful, he reminded me of the ghost at Miss Wintergarden's house.

"Can you hear me? Are you William?" I repeated. Suddenly a burst of psychic energy hit my temples.
"Well who else would I be?" William's voice was harsh, heavy and forceful. But it was high pitch, and echoed in my mind.
"Yes, I guess that was a dumb question." I smiled, "Why are you here?" Silence for a moment.
"To help you." He smiled.

Typically when an agent asked the 'why are you here?' question, you should really expect few things: a scream, a long background story, or in the case of the skull a confusing riddle and some sarcastic comments.

But this startled me. "Sorry not sure if I got that right.. You're here to help me?" He nodded and floated slightly closer, his glow drew brighter.

"Well of course, you're in a complicated situation right now aren't you? It must be hard for you." He smiled again, his head tilted, the dark flop of hair on his head fell to the side. And once again he mirrored the pictures I've seen of young Lockwood. I coughed and shifted on my feet.

"Well, yes, but that doesn't matter to you. Why are you here really? Why did you throw the cat at Walter?" Suddenly his face darkened, his voice cold as stone.
"Because Walter is weak, Walter is naive about the pain death caused me. And his father is a useless man." I could hear the anger in the boys voice, but it didn't make me shrink away, I moved towards him, feelings sympathy.

"Hey, it's okay. You can't do anything about them anymore, you need to rest, let Walter and Mr Webster live."
"No!" He screamed. A burst of light and energy pushing into me, I put my hand up to shield my face.
"I'm sorry." The ghost shrunk back to the point I could hardly make out the apparition, "I just want to
help you, Lucy."
I smiled and stepped forward again, his glow brightened ever so slightly in response to my warmth.
"And what you want to help me with, William?" 
"The boy upstairs," William pointed a see-through finger to the ceiling, "The one with the posh accent and the long legs. The one that looks like me."

The last part startled me, he knew Lockwood was like him. "Lockwood? Why do you want to help me with him?"
"Because he likes you."
"What?" I spluttered, the memory of his disgusted, hurt face from the night I told him we were dating, played in my mind.
"Mhm. Us ghosts understand human emotions better than you humans. We can see it clear as day." He smiled and giggled, it was a childish sound but I supposed William was still a child. I stood there considering his words for a moment, I could have sworn the skull had said something like that before. Maybe if I trusted him, me and Lockwood would be back to normal.